Shimming a scope.

Shimming a scope is rarely a good fix, if you must have that rifle, machine a mounting system that solves the problem, or like me , I was not overly excited about my win 70 and traded it in.

I am sure my scope has no form of zero stop. All you do is lift turret dial and turn it to zero on index line. How ever I will look more closely at it to be sure and find the box to get model for sure. The rail I put on it I am sure was made by E Arthur Browm for the Ruger #1 rifle. Last night while looking it over it appears as though when the scope is level in rear ring that it does not touch the front one. I put a small shim in the saddle of front ring and the scope does not rock. The rings a matched set from the package they came in. From what I remember they are Talley's with adjustable windage in them.

I am sure my scope has no form of zero stop. All you do is lift turret dial and turn it to zero on index line. How ever I will look more closely at it to be sure and find the box to get model for sure. The rail I put on it I am sure was made by E Arthur Browm for the Ruger #1 rifle. Last night while looking it over it appears as though when the scope is level in rear ring that it does not touch the front one. I put a small shim in the saddle of front ring and the scope does not rock. The rings a matched set from the package they came in. From what I remember they are Talley's with adjustable windage in them.
If it is an HS-T scope, then it came with a small plastic bag of U-shaped brass shims that you install that allow you to set your own custom zero-stop.

The Viper HS does not have a zero-stop function. But it does have a resettable zero for your dial under the cap. You just pickup on the knob and spin it till the zero faces you, and drop it back down...That way you have some form of a zero marker.

I have put a 10 thousand shim under the scope on the rear ring for years to get a 100 zero and according to Leupold it is ok up to 12 thousands but now I just use Tally rings with a 20 moa built in

Burris Zee rings with the offset inserts let you "shim" without any stress. The inserts are eccentric, and they fit inside the rings like a ball joint, no matter the angle, there is no torque on the scope tube. I use them to fine tune my windage zero to mechanical center of my turret adjustment. The instructions have great illustrations making it very easy to achieve the effect you are looking for. I had a rifle receiver that had apparently been drilled rather poorly and gave me a windage zero problem like your elevation problem. Zee rings took care of it.

All things being said I forgot to ask is it the front of the scope that I will need to raise. The reason I ask is I am assuming a 20 MOA rail is slightly taller at the back right.

I have put a 10 thousand shim under the scope on the rear ring for years to get a 100 zero and according to Leupold it is ok up to 12 thousands but now I just use Tally rings with a 20 moa built in
There's a reason why Leupold dovetail rings and bases are not very popular anymore...

There's a lot of old school tips and tricks that work great, but shimming a scope or mount is not one I would recommend to anyone.

All things being said I forgot to ask is it the front of the scope that I will need to raise. The reason I ask is I am assuming a 20 MOA rail is slightly taller at the back right.
If you put a rail on it, do not shim anything. Let the rail do its job like it was designed to do. A good quality rail should not give you any issues. I recommend EGW (Evolution Gun Works).

From what I can find my rail must be the EGW one. As the E Arthur Brown version fit over the factory Ruger set up. t is looking more like I will have to get some Burris rings to try and solve this issue.

Morning, sounds like ur scope rings r not high enough
r the rings r to high and need to come down. I just
run into the same problem with a ruger M-77 Varmint.
22-250AI. put a set of high rings on the receiver whola.
works great. ruger ring set up on the receiver to me
totally worthless. have to live with the set up
justme gbot tum

I have to agree with you Just Country the Ruger set up makes useless look good. The EGW rail worked fine with some really tall Zeiss rings and a 1 inch tubed Nikon. Now with what I assume are medium Millets and a 30mm tube gun shoots high off the paper.

Contrary to Fuddlore, you don't EVER shim a scope or scope mount...EVER! It puts stress on the optic and/or mount in wrong places. I've replaced LOTS of optics for customers that heard it was recommended, and it screwed their optics up.
I've EXPERMENTED with SHIMS, if you're OUT THERE Friend where you need that much Elevation, you'd best find a LR Smith or a helluva good Machinest, and Invest in have a Custom Base & Rings MADE to suit your NEEDS! That's what I did.
Theosmithjr

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.