Shimming a scope.

WildBillG

I went out to shoot my Ruger#1 with a different scope on it and can not get it low enough to zero at 100yds. It worked with a 1 inch tubed Nikon but not with my 30mm Vortex. Both scopes are mounted on the same EAB rail I got from Brownells. What I am wondering is how much of a shim under the scope on the front ring will it take to raise the POI about 9 inches. Also I don't remember now is that rail maybe a 10 or 20 MOA rail. If it is will it be marked as such in some way.

The rail would be tapered but if you don't have the packaging I don't often see a lot of them being stamped with their moa.

How high is the scope height and are the rings you have on 30mm rings? Usually if it's a 10 or 20 moa rail it gives you more ups...thus when talking about zeroing gives you more downward adjustment for that purpose...

Does your Vortex have a "zero stop" feature? If so it's possible the zero stop setting is preventing you from dialing lower.

I was thinking that too when he said shims but he said he can't bring "it" low enough, I had to assume "it" was the reticle, not coming down to poi and that would involve moving the turret the opposite direction of the zero stop

To answer the question the scope has no zero stop feature. I have the scope mounted in 30mm rings. The rail was designed to fit the ridiculous Ruger#1 set up and thus it is hard to tell if there is a taper. My problem is I can not turn the turret down any more and it is still shooting about 10 or more inches high.

I went out to shoot my Ruger#1 with a different scope on it and can not get it low enough to zero at 100yds. It worked with a 1 inch tubed Nikon but not with my 30mm Vortex. Both scopes are mounted on the same EAB rail I got from Brownells. What I am wondering is how much of a shim under the scope on the front ring will it take to raise the POI about 9 inches. Also I don't remember now is that rail maybe a 10 or 20 MOA rail. If it is will it be marked as such in some way.
Contrary to Fuddlore, you don't EVER shim a scope or scope mount...EVER! It puts stress on the optic and/or mount in wrong places. I've replaced LOTS of optics for customers that heard it was recommended, and it screwed their optics up.

MudRunner would you advise using the Burris Signature series rings or not. The reason I ask is after looking at them they appear in a sense to be shimming. How do recomend I fix this issue. The only thing that I can think of is that the 1inch scope was mounted in very high rings. While the 30mm rings appear to be more average in height. Will the scope being closer to the barrel cause a situation where you can not turn your turrets low enough to stay on the paper.

It is a Viper HST I believe not a upper end Viper model. It has been fine on a couple of other rifles. As I mentioned the Nikon Monarch 3 was able to be zeroed with out issue but the rings were much taller.

I just looked at the Vortex HST features and it says it has CRS, which is Customizable Rotational Stop. This means that this feature could be preventing you from dialing your POI lower. The specs say it should have 65 moa of total elevation range.

The Monarch 3 specs say it has 40 moa

Last edited:
MudRunner would you advise using the Burris Signature series rings or not. The reason I ask is after looking at them they appear in a sense to be shimming. How do recomend I fix this issue. The only thing that I can think of is that the 1inch scope was mounted in very high rings. While the 30mm rings appear to be more average in height. Will the scope being closer to the barrel cause a situation where you can not turn your turrets low enough to stay on the paper.
A lot of folks swear by them, and I read nothing but good reports, and I understand the concept of them... However, personally, I don't really care for them. I use EGW HD 20MOA rails, and Seekins Precision rings.

It can cause that issue, if your line of sight is off. Just strictly concerning ring height doesn't really matter if your scope is really high or really low, as long as it is still properly in line with the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.