Shiloh Sharps Rifle in 45-70

Old Iron

I have heard some talk about some folks shooting modern smokeless cartridges in the newly Montana made Shiloh Sharps Rifles . Does anyone know if that can be safely done or is that just a bunch of nonsense?

Blasphemy!!!!:D I would go to the Shiloh forum but I know guys who do though I could never bring myself to such an unholy act!!!

The reason being that if I'm out of triple F and old ammo I would still like to be able to shoot modern fodder if I want to continue to pull the trigger. Ammo is scarce, I like options.

+1 - Why would you insult the authenticity of the load with the introduction of smokeless powder?

Blasphemy again haha, you can duplicate the old loads with smokless too ya know, (cleaner) and in the modern guns actually get better performance. Imr 3031 is a good choice.

Yes you can shoot smokeless. Don't try to shoot those Ruger #1 loads though. I have shot a number of the Trapdoor loads with smokeless in my Sharps with no problem. Accurate 5744 with cast bullets works great. There is no critter in North America that the 400 to 500 gr bullet going between 1100 to 1400 fps at muzzle will not put feet up in the air out to 1000 of so yards. I shoot mainly black powder or Pyrodex in my rifle though. Pyrodex is much easier to come by these days and I have gotten just as good accuracy with it as with BP.

Blasphemy again haha, you can duplicate the old loads with smokless too ya know, (cleaner) and in the modern guns actually get better performance. Imr 3031 is a good choice.

+1 IMR 3031 is great for .45-70s with cast bullets.

Like everyone said, yes of course you can. Is it as much fun no, is it better for hunting? For me yes. 3031, leverution and even some pistol powders, be carefull not to double though. Load shoot and enjoy, if you need the smoke light a cigar.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.