Sherman Shorts- 300ss vs. 338ss by the numbers

odoylerules

Hey guys, I'm looking to rebarrel my 7mm-Rem mag Ruger m77 mk II into a Sherman short cartridge. This will be a backcountry lightweight rig for deer and elk. I was leaning towards the 338, it's been getting a ton more buzz than the 300. Looking at these two cartridges, I was struck at how little difference there was performance wise. Similar speed, energy and wind, with the 215 bullet having .6 mils less drop at 1000 yards. The 338 bullets are more expensive too, (around $24 a box). I'm starting to lean back towards the 300 now. The 215 hybrid is an extremely well proven bullet too.
Am I wrong or missing anything?
Thanks guys

300ss with Berger 215gr @2900fps
2F4681DF-E93B-43FF-B3BA-C7DA80E3EACD.png

338ss with Berger 250gr @2800fps
B6BC5710-5C94-49BF-B4C4-4652D6AF56F4.png

If top end long range performance/ballistics is your goal, while it is very good, the .338 is not at the top of the ss's in numbers in that aspect. Actually, the 6.5 has about the least amount of wind drift of all of them, when taking into account achievable velocity and bullet selection. What the .338 offers over the others is a larger frontal area, and a little more energy. It would likely be my choice of the ss chamberings if my intended game was strictly elk, big bear and moose, at mostly moderate ranges (point blank to 600ish yards)

But if best possible ballistics was my goal, I would look at one of the others. Rich lays it out pretty good on his site. I would choose the 6.5 if I was mostly going after pronghorn and deer at long ranges, with occasional elk. I am starting a .270 ss for mule deer and occasional elk, at moderate to long ranges. The 7mm ss would be well suited for the same, mule deer and elk at moderate long ranges. The 300 would be my choice if my main target was mostly elk, occasional mule deer, and my ranges were going to be pretty far (over 600) the majority of the time. As stated, the 338 is what I would go for if I was after exclusively large heavy game at close to occasionally long ranges.

There is a Sherman for every use, pick the one that suits your needs ha ha.

The Sherman shorts are very cool cartridges and make perfect sense in a short action but if you have a long action and are looking for the best ballistics I would look at other options. 300 wsm would give you slightly more case capacity and more brass sources. 30 or 33 nosler would give a considerable bump in case capacity and should work in your m77.

The Sherman shorts are very cool cartridges and make perfect sense in a short action but if you have a long action and are looking for the best ballistics I would look at other options. 300 wsm would give you slightly more case capacity and more brass sources. 30 or 33 nosler would give a considerable bump in case capacity and should work in your m77.
M77's have a short mag box, 3.4" or so unless you find a smith that will open them up. Would make a nosler cartridge challenging with the high bc bullets.

Thanks for the closer range numbers. My main reasoning for the 338 is moose hunting inside 500 yards and likely elk as well. I wanted a 338 for the energy and good bullet options. I feel that the 338SS is about the most punch and ability to stretch out the distance in a short action.

Love 338...I currently have a 338 RCM, 338 win and a 338 Norma...I had a 33 Nosler love what a 338 does with a 250-300 grain bullet on game--I think if I was looking at your set up the 338 SS would be my selection

Another really surprising thing I found is that the Berger 215 hybrid has a higher BC than the Berger 250gr for the 338.

Codyadams is right the 33 nosler has a case legnth of 2.46. Berger lists the nose legnth on a 250 at .96 so that combo will not work in a 3.4" mag box. If you went 30 caliber the 300 wsm would work though. It would give you slightly more case capacity over an ss and more brass options.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.