My 300ss (Sherman Short) Ruger M77

That's so ugly, it's beautiful :D. It seems like people are asking a premium nowadays for the boat paddle stocks. I never handled one, how are they really?
I have 2 of them... Both stainless all-weathers, one full-size in 7mmRM, and a mountain rifle in 7mm-08. They're super light, and kick like a mule. But they're easy to tote. The one thing I always hated was that they don't have a way to put QD sling swivels on them, they use the old school hook & look style.

That's so ugly, it's beautiful :D. It seems like people are asking a premium nowadays for the boat paddle stocks. I never handled one, how are they really?

I have one in .338 WM. The paddle stock was OK mine has a MB but replaced it with B&C carbelite (IIRC). Sold the stock to an LRH member that seems to collect them. When it is time to re-barrel, I am considering a .375/.338 WM or .375R.

View attachment 130320 View attachment 130319
65.2 RE26
Sherman brass
Fed 210 primer
Berger 215
COAL 3.031
CBTO 2.245
2870fps avg
26" barrel

Very nice! Your powder charge jumped out at me. I think this round of yours is a efficient round for sure!

I have a 06 (Ruger M77 Mark 2) with a "28 Barrel with a long throat shooting 65 grains of RL26 and 215 Feds I am getting right @ 2850 fps with 215 Hybrids.

Very nice! Good to see a Ruger getting some love. Regardless what some say they can be modded and shoot very well.

165BC667-B7B3-4316-A86F-B63934F3EA49.jpeg
Looks good! Next mod would be having your smith drill and tap the receiver so you can run a pic rail and normal rings. EGW makes a base for it, that requires drilling and tapping, but once done, you're good to go.

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts...-must-drill-tap-receiver-20-moa-ambidextrous/

I've had M77 MKII's for over 20 years, and I've had plenty of issues with the proprietary rings. Plus, it really limits your options.
I had him do that with this one, a WEIG A TINNY rail. It was so ridiculously high I couldn't get a decent check weld. I took it off and put on standard rings from Warne. I still had to put on a Bradley cheek piece. Do you think the rail you're suggesting would be a little lower?

WOW!! Ill say its a tack driver! Nice build and good to see how that Ruger worked out. This is typical of how the 300 shoots with a good load. Can anyone spell COMPETITION
Keep the data coming:D
I think I would prefer the Rich Sherman case compared to the Arnold Schwarzenegger case. I'll be back ! LOL

Last edited:
View attachment 130368
I had him do that with this one, a WEIG A TINNY rail. It was so ridiculously high I couldn't get a decent check weld. I took it off and put on standard rings from Warne. I still had to put on a Bradley cheek piece. Do you think the rail you're suggesting would be a little lower?
Probably, EGW rails sit fairly low to the receiver. Also, looks like you could drop down in ring height some, too, and that would help a lot as well.

View attachment 130368

IIRC, the comb is low to begin with. I had to change and adapt my check weld more towards my chin. It took a little adjustment on my part but it gave me ~1.5" of rise before I decided on changing the stock. If you decide to get rid of the Weigh-a-tiny rail, let me know.

Cheers!

Looking good! I would think you should gain a little more speed once fully broke in. I'll look at my notes with the 215. I was running norma brass back when I shot that bullet and still was shooting a top end load at 2975 iirc. Charge may have been similar. Those bergers were always accurate as all get out but I lost my interest in their coolaid lol I'll probably be taking my 300ss out for bear in a couple weeks.

I finally got my 300ss up and running. I wanted to rebuild my old Ruger M77 (sentimental value). It was the first rifle I ever bought chambered in 7mm mag, and I killed 2 elk with it many many years ago. The Ruger internal box is tiny, like 3.4" which really limits what cartridges I could run. The 300ss was perfect!
My smith squared the entire action and bedded the original boat paddle stock, which I really wanted to keep.
It has a Bartlein barrel, 26" 10tw 3b contour.
Bare rifle weighs sub 7lbs. Launches Berger 215's at 2870fps. During testing I got close to 3000fps but best accuracy was sub 2900fps.
As you can see it's a TACK DRIVER!
1 hole groups at 100 yards.
HOLY SCHNIKEY THAT IS ACCURATE!

I finally got my 300ss up and running. I wanted to rebuild my old Ruger M77 (sentimental value). It was the first rifle I ever bought chambered in 7mm mag, and I killed 2 elk with it many many years ago. The Ruger internal box is tiny, like 3.4" which really limits what cartridges I could run. The 300ss was perfect!
My smith squared the entire action and bedded the original boat paddle stock, which I really wanted to keep.
It has a Bartlein barrel, 26" 10tw 3b contour.
Bare rifle weighs sub 7lbs. Launches Berger 215's at 2870fps. During testing I got close to 3000fps but best accuracy was sub 2900fps.
As you can see it's a TACK DRIVER!
1 hole groups at 100 yards.

Very Nice! You gotta like that! I'm saving my lunch money for one of Rich's 7mm cartridges. Gonna pull the trigger so to speak as soon as feasibly posable. I feel like Christmas is coming!
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.