Shepherd scope experience

drpbroun5

Does anyone have any experience with Shepherd scopes? What is the quality of the optics? Any problems? Suggestions? Thanks.
Paul

My simple opinion, good idea in theory but take that money and put it toward an equally priced Leupold and you will be far better off.

They are not designed for true long range shooting and the double reticle design can cause some real issues for some peoples vision. Decent quality but in my opinion, there are much better scopes to be had for that amount of money.

Main thing would be how far you want to shoot?

Kirby Allen(50)

+1 on Fifty post

My calling partner tried one, sold it and bought a NF with the new R1 reticle... he is Soooo Happy now....

He had problems with the reticle like Fifty said and then the holdovers didn't match ballistics very well... we are higher altitute and things didn't match up....

I'd save and get different scope too.

I was in the acrtic this year and after we took our caribou a friend and I went to bust some rocks 'out there'. He has a Sheppard on his '06. It would take him a long time to aquire the correct 'circle' and they usually were not on much from 600 out. I handload for him so I know what the rifle can do with a differant scope but he was fixated about getting that 'very busy' scope IMO.
I had the range finder (lieca) and the target knob Zeiss 6x20. I ran out of scope.
As Kirby suggested get a different scope and I suggest a decent range finder. You do need to know what your rifle/cartridge will do at given distance, practice, practice and then some more pratice, now get a custom barrel since you shot that one out.! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I've only been around 1 of them. A buddy of mine who is a gunsmith put one on his 7 RM and swears by it. I tried talking him into the rangefinder/click system, but he said, nah this is faster and just as good. Hes taken a fair amount of game up and out to 800 yards with his. He shot a spike bull at 750 yards and a couple coyotes between 700-800. I've looked through the scope and it didn't seem that great optically. I also dont like the cluttered view. Just like BDC scopes, there good out to around 600, 700 at most on big game, but after that, clicking UP is more precise.

Thanks all. It seems that my guesses were correct - great idea but no cigar. I don't like cigars anyway! Paul

I will tell you not to waste any money on them. I have owned one and to make it a short story I gave the scope away. It almost ruined an Elk hunt except I had brought a second rifle. Great concept but poor quality. Its my opinion and worth what you paid for it. Save your money

Once again, I find a forum late. Since these comments were written in 2007, and this is March of 2013, these comments are a little late. But for those who read these comments and mine, it might be helpful. I have been using Shepherd scopes and Leupold scopes, and Burris scopes and Pentax scopes for quite a while, now. Weaver scopes have made their way onto a few firearms of mine over the years, too. The optics and the adjustments of the Shepherd scopes have been just as good as the same generation Leupold scopes. I have Shepherds I have bought in '86, '96, 2005 and this last year. I own 5 of them, now. My first was a 3X10 Shootist. It was bought in Hawaii. I had it refurbished by Shepherd Inc. in 2010. Dan completely rebuilt it. It still passes over 96% of the light that hits the front lens to the eye. It cost me $15.oo shipping and handling. I have never had a Shepherd fail on me. I have killed deer with one on a 30-06 and on a 35 Whelen out to 500 yds. I have shot popup targets to 700 meters in high winds (20mph+) and they work just as advertised. But don't take my word for it. In one of your own forums, Mr. McMillan of McMillan Rifle Stocks talks about the Shepherd. One thing, though. Shepherd produces HUNTING scopes. They're not benchrest scopes or target scopes, though they will fit that bill. But they're one of the best ranging Hunting scopes on the market.

just like ANY decent quality scope, you will get all types of answers, from great to total crap. AND, like ALL decent quality scopes, they do the job they are intended to do at a reasonable price. most "failures" with them are from folks who don't take the time to learn how to use it with their rifle, just like ANY ranging type reticle from any other mfg.

Roger that. When all else fails, read the instructions. Except you have to read them first with the Shepherd. With the Shootist, by the way, the instructions are applied backwards. It was hard to figure out how to zero correctly. All the others work exactly as instructed. The Shootist was also my first Shepherd scope, so I was still learning. I mounted it on an HK 91 and had it in the armory at Schofield Barracks when I was stationed there. I shot it to 600 yds with 165gr. ammunition and zeroed it for sniping (We were a light inf. unit without sniping rifles at the time.) That scope didn't have circles except for the sighting circle. It has tic marks for windage and elevation at the top and right side of the reticle. They subtend 1 in at 100yds. You can dial in exact drop, but it is slower than the regular scope and you have to calculate range. It has good optics and is very precise.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.