shepherd scopes

Derrick

Hello All, Has anyone any knowlege of Shepherd scopes, made in the USA. how good or bad are they ?and are they worth the money. any feed back most welcome.thanks. Derrick.

I heard they are made by the same company in asia that makes other brands of scopes? But like everthing else in this world, don't really know. Heck after reading the ACI post I ain't sure of anything anymore! However I was told that the scope where made by Light Optical Inc . I'am going to go and look for a link for you that has a lot of info on scopes and will try and post the URL. Be advised up front, I have not had much luck doing this in the past so you will have to take the address and run with the ball sorta speak. Hope what follows will be of some help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well this has been discussed here several times. I will be the first to say save your money. I have had one and will never own another. Great concept but poor quality. thats just my two cents worth. there are others that will differ with me. I wish you better luck if you buy one than I had.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good friend at work took two rifles in the blind on a S. Texas hunt (don't ask why). One was equipped with a Shepherd and the other a Kahles. At first light, he could tell that the deer feeding in the field was a buck with the Shepherd. With the Kahles, not only could he see the antlers but he could count and judge the antlers. This was the same guy who thought the Shepherd was the cat's meow. Guess who sold his "favorite" Shepherd scope.

Yorke, I bought one about 14 years ago. Soon after I started using it, the secondary reticle would move slightly.
Later, a friend bought one & had problems with it. Even though I like the idea, I decided that 2 out of 2 was not
good & sold mine.

[ QUOTE ]
Well this has been discussed here several times. I will be the first to say save your money. I have had one and will never own another. Great concept but poor quality. thats just my two cents worth. there are others that will differ with me. I wish you better luck if you buy one than I had.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen...This sums up my thoughts exactly...sakofan..
I really wish the glass quality was better. I think a RFP/FFP scope like that is ingenious.

I would like to thank you all for your reply to the shepherd scope question, as they are asking £699 here in the U.K you have saved me the expence.thanks once again Derrick.

[ QUOTE ]
I also looked at one some months ago but went for Swarovski PVS instead, just range it and dial. I do not regret the extra £200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the TDS reticle??
Welcome to LRH...sakofan....

Yorke,I own 5 shephard scopes and have been quite pleased NO problems.I run a balistics program for the bullet that I shoot and compare to the scope and aim accordingly works for me.

On a 300 win mag 29" barrel with muzzle brake. I run a ballistics program to compare to the scopes aim points and adjust holds accordingly have used this system sucessfuly to 800 yards as far as I can find to shoot & practice

Sir, I have 4 Shepherds now and like you said in your post, if you pay attention to the ballistics the scope is set up for, you can't go wrong. I have killed elk at 1000 yards with my 30-06. Many at 600 yards. If you get used to the loading for the ballistics and can judge what an 18 inch area is--it is by far the quickest and easiest scope to use for long shooting! There is no figuring out how much you need to shoot over the animal. You just put the circle on that fits and pull the trigger. That is simple enough!! Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.