Shepherd Scopes?

Sakofan summed it up exactly right. I owned one and will never own another. Great Idea but very poor quality in my opinion and experience. For what it's worth.
Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wouldn't put one on a slingshot. Tried to zero one for a friend using a chamber laser wouldn't even zero. The closer you got to the end of max elevation the more it would pull the reticle horizontally. Ask shepherd to sell them to our enemies all of our troops will be safe for sure. Save your pennies don't DICK around buy a Nightforce and never look back.

I'll go with Sakofan on this one. Neat concept in theory, but really poor glass and over all quality. Not to mention they have a stiff price tag to remind you after you purchased it, what a huge mistake you made.

Hello guys, I have had a shepherd on my 300RUM since 2000. I have taken deer and elk with it every year to date. I haven't had any issues with it, in fact i like it. My longest shot was 543yrds, i considered it a long shot until i started reading on this site,ha. Anyway just thought i would respond since i have been using one. Currently i use the 300RUM for open country and my saddle rifle is a 450M guide. Both shoot real well! This is a great site i enjoy it.

I have many leading brand scopes on different long range rifles and sniper rifles. I actually have been impressed with the Shepherd scope for a "Hunting" rifle. For best results you will need certain reticle and reload a certain weight bullet at a certain velocity. I have used a Shepherd on a 50 BMG down to a 270 WSM. My biggest complaint would be the reduced eye relief of approx. 3". I now use a scope recoil pad. I have harvested antelope at 650 yards and 18" metal targets concistantly at 1,000 yards by just using the drop reticle. The ammo has to be adjusted for the reticle.

love my shepherd I use it on 300wm works great, so far I have shot deer at 600 yards with it.

I have to agree with the doctor. Buy a Nightforce and don't look back. I had a Sheperd years ago. The idea was good but was lacking in several areas. If your rifle load combo match the balistics of the reticule they have <u>some</u> value and most do out to 500 or 600 but I feel like if you want to go much further they will at some point hold you back. Also for the price the glass and construction quality should be better.

I think you gentlemen should read the quote from Mr. McMillan of McMillan stock and Sniper Rifle fame. He says it pretty well for the Shepherd. As for me, I have two presently mounted on rifles. One on a 30-06 Ruger M77MkII and another on a Remington 700 CDL in 35 Whelen. I've killed deer in Kansas with both rifles from 30yds out to 500+yds using just the circles. No issues with zeroing(you do have to follow Shepherd's directions, tho) but the mounts have to be right and so do the rings. On the Ruger I had no trouble, but I had to use Millet Adjustable rings on the Whelen. I also have a Shootist (circa 1985) from Shepherd that I bought in Hawaii. It got pretty stiff after around 28 or 29 years, so I sent it back and they rebuilt it for the shipping and handling price. I still use it, and it and one or another rifle have accounted for around 25 or 30 deer here. Last fall, I shot the Whelen with 225 gr. Sierras on Ft. Riley's 1000yd pof range and hit the 700meter pop-up targets in a 20mph wind using the circles and ballistic table. I adjusted into the wind on a 400yd steel plate and adjusted again for the 700m targets. After hitting them, I dialed back to a zero windage zero without having to refer to notes by just lining up the two reticles. Try that with any other scope. And I used it last January during Doe season to kill three doe at three different ranges on the same bean field in about 30-40 seconds. Try that with any other scope. I just bought No. 4 for my 300WinMag. And yes, you can beat the optics if you buy a 1500 or 2000 dollar scope, but not with a comporably priced scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.