Shepherd scopes?

94Winchester

While I was reading a guide on rifle shooting(I am still learning to accurately shoot rifles) The author of the guide recommended Shepherd scopes. I went to their website and the concept is interesting. Has anyone had experience with these scopes. Are they any good for long range hunting?

I will try to make this short and to the point, I have used one for the past few years, Do they work YES, you have to make sure you have the right model for your cartdrige, then have to get a ballistic program that take in for account for all varibles, baro pressure, temp , altitude etc. then look in the shepherd book and match your bullet speed to their reticle. I have had one on a 300rum and it worked great but I now have out grown it, much easier to load for the rifles accuracy then dial for correct MOA with all varibles accounted for. You can get a scope with a MOA or mil hash marks on the reticle then just hold over or dial which ever you prefer, scopes like the NF, PST etc all have those reticles, svae yourseld some time and get one of those and you wont outgrow it. Remember that all bdc reticles or the custom knobs require all the varibles to be the same all the time for them to be accurate. I may hunt at 6000 feet one day then the next day find myself at 9000 feet, to much varible for a bdc to be accurate. Hope this makes sense and pm me if you have any more questions

While I was reading a guide on rifle shooting(I am still learning to accurately shoot rifles) The author of the guide recommended Shepherd scopes. I went to their website and the concept is interesting. Has anyone had experience with these scopes. Are they any good for long range hunting?

I have a Shepherd 310PE1 on top of my 300RUM. These scopes are extemely reliable due to their dual crosshair. I have a lot of rounds through this gun and the scope has never shifted at all on it's own. However, just like elkstalker said, you must match the scope to your rifle and load as best as you can. Point of impact still may be high or low in your circles. You have to shoot at all ranges and make notes of where you are hitting in each circle and make corrections for that. For example: My rifle was previously a 300Wby and at the time I was runnning Barnes TSX bullets, beyond 550 meters I was hitting lower in the circles the farther out I went, about 35" low in my 1000meter circle. I made notes of this and made corrections before the shot. I recently rechambered to 300RUM with 210VLD's and am now hitting perfectly in the center of all circles. I have taken it a step farther and made drop charts to go along with the reticle. I have MOA drop figures between each circle so that at odd distances I adjust my circles down and aim with the closest circle above that range, no guessing where to hold. I take into account and correct for temperature, altitude, shooting angle ect. I have made this system work out to 1,600 yards successfully hitting milk jugs. I guess I am making it work like a "dial in" scope, but I love the reliablility and confidence that the dual crosshair gives.

I have one on my 300 win mag, works great out to 700 yds then is 5'' high at 800yds 7'' at 900yds an 12'' at 1000yds. I know whats its doing so its not bad. The only thing that I don't like is you can get confused with all the circles in side the scope. If you get in a hurry an the animal is out there you spend more time looking for the right circle. Mine is ten years old an still clear, an its always been on the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts