Shaw Vs Douglas

RemingtonShooter

I am having my 243 M70 rebarreled to a 7mm-08. I am wondering what folks think of the two companies above. Both are about $450 for the barrel installed on the action. Are they both accurate, etc.

Also, Chrome Moly or Stainless and why?

Thanks!

I am having my 243 M70 rebarreled to a 7mm-08. I am wondering what folks think of the two companies above. Both are about $450 for the barrel installed on the action. Are they both accurate, etc.

Also, Chrome Moly or Stainless and why?

Thanks!

I would recomend that you find a good Gunsmith to do the work and let him recomend his
barrel of choice.for your accuracy requirements and his guarantee.

I would also recomend Stainless for there durability and ease of care.

It may cost a little more but the outcome will be better .

In the past I have had issues with barrel makers doing the chambering and don't do it
any more.

Just an opinion

J E CUSTOM

I don't have 1st hand experience with Shaw barrels, I have a Douglass XXpremium match on the 7mag, when you feed it something it likes it's drivin friggin tacks, when you feed it something it doesn't like it still shoots fairly well. (personally I think that's more of a statement about my GS) But it's always been a PIA to clean. I also Have a Shillen on my 22-250 and am constantly surprised with how well it shoots, like never worse than MOA. (again my GS). My advise your going to pay 4 - 450 either way so go with a barrel from a proven barrel maker, Like Shillen, Lilja, ect and have damned good gunsmith install it. It's worth the little bit of extra cost.:)

Back in the 70's my dad had 2 different 270Wby's built. First one was built on a Pre 64 Model 70 the second was built on a Rem 700. Along that same time the same smith built him a 220swift also on a Pre64 model 70. That smith liked Douglas barrels so all 3 had chromemoly Douglas barrels and all 3 shot extremely well.

Now the different "smiths" my dad and I use/d like different barrels. Most of our stuff is Lilja. I have 1 Hart and my dad just had a build finish up with a Broughton. So far, ALL, have been excellent. I can't say I would pick one over the other.

If Douglas barrels are still as good as they were when my dad had those guns built in the 70's I would have NO problem using them if that's what my smith recommended but I think the work the smith does is far more important than picking the "Best" barrel.

Find yourself a good gunsmith and go with what he recommends. I always figure gunsmiths build A LOT more guns than I'll ever own so they know MUCH better than me what works and what doesn't.

Best of luck on your build.

[QUOTE=J E Custom;658078In the past I have had issues with barrel makers doing the chambering and don't do it
any more.

I agree with that statement. My one barrel purchased chambered for a Savage shot terrible. Returned it to them; they said no problem could be found It is a 6.5-284 and now, after 328 rounds, is a safe queen.

Both Shaw and Douglas produce good barrels SOMETIMES. I have had every barrel brand except Lilja, and you never know what you will have until it has been shot with many different loads for up to 600-700 rounds. Expecting a hummer barrel is a crapshoot!! You rolls the dice and takes your chances. A good gunsmith helps. Good luck!

i've never seen a douglas that didn't shoot well. i'm currently playing with a shaw barrel(my first shaw)and am seeing good results with handloads.if you are looking for bench rest accuracy i'd go with a proven winning name like kreiger,brux,or pac nor.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.