Douglas vs McGowan for re barrel

tbrice23

I'd like to know if anyone has had experiences in the accuracy, quality and or service if these two re barreling services/ barrel smiths.
I desperately need to re barrel a Vanguard "moa range certified" (lmfao). It's chambered in 270 win. and will probably re barreled in 270 win. since I have a lifetime supply of fully prepared brass dies and 1000s of 270 bullets.
Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20131205_191333.jpg
    20131205_191333.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 163
Never owned a Douglas that I'm aware of. I do own two McGowans, one in a 300 Win Mag that is very accurate and the other is a 45 caliber Smokless Muzzleloader and it is accurate also with the exception is the bullets, Berger does not make a bullet in 45 caliber LOL

I own two Douglas barrels one that a Smith installed on a M725 action that shoots bug holes and the other is a muzzle loader barrel I used to hand build a Southern Mountain rifle which also is a great shooter, good enough for head shots on gray squirrels.
I too would like to know more on the rebarrel service provided by both companies especially Douglas.lightbulb

I know that Douglas does Rockwell hardness check and always squares the face of the action. McGowan charges for squaring but don't know if they check hardness. With the squaring charge by McGowan they both charge about the same for SS re barreling.
I have talked to Douglas a couple of times and they're always patient an informative with my questions. I've tried to call McGowan and never got through. Thats about all I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.