Shaw rifles

snox801

Here's my deal. I'd like to get my dad a nice built rifle for Christmas. Here is the problem he will never shoot over 500 yards rarely over 200. He also never shoots except for hunting. We also don't like to get carried away with how much we spend for gifts. So I was planning on doing a savage axis with a stock,trigger, and several other goodies. Or a ruger American with the same stuff done because it comes threaded for a break.
While shopping around I went back to shaws sight and found the mark7. So I built it with all the things I want him to have for about $1100 bucks. Doing it in 6.5 creed so all of us have the same round to take to the range.
What are your thoughts on this. He is always happy with a factory rifle but I'd like to get him something that's kinda different.

Here's my deal. I'd like to get my dad a nice built rifle for Christmas. Here is the problem he will never shoot over 500 yards rarely over 200. He also never shoots except for hunting. We also don't like to get carried away with how much we spend for gifts. So I was planning on doing a savage axis with a stock,trigger, and several other goodies. Or a ruger American with the same stuff done because it comes threaded for a break.
While shopping around I went back to shaws sight and found the mark7. So I built it with all the things I want him to have for about $1100 bucks. Doing it in 6.5 creed so all of us have the same round to take to the range.
What are your thoughts on this. He is always happy with a factory rifle but I'd like to get him something that's kinda different.

I think it's very reasonable and I'm sure he'll be very happy with it too, esp. coming from you. BTW, that's very nice of you. I wish I had the same opportunity when my Dad was still around.

Good luck!

Ed

That's part of it is love to get him a full custom but know it wouldn't get enough use and he's not the best shot. We got him an ar15 300 blk a few years ago which he really like but the distance is really limited on that so I'm thinking this would be much better.

I think those are EXCELLENT rifles for the money. They use the Savage target action. A good way to go IMO. Your Dad's a lucky guy.

Check on the wait time should you decide to order one. In the past, and even not-too-distant past, Shaw has had looooong wait times. If you order now that should not be an issue, but I would call them and verify first.

I don't know about their rifles but I have used their barrels on two semi-customs using Savage actions and SSS triggers. Both are minute of prairie dog out past 400yds on a calm day. You could do much worse for much more.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Sounds like it's a good bang for the buck. I have a 6x45 barrel from them and the turn around was half what they told me. I'm hoping it's done by Christmas but not an end all as hunting season is about done here. Hoping he has it for an African trip next spring. I'll be ordering tomorrow.

I have 3 shaw barrels, not a problemwith any. I also have a 6.5-06AI in a shaw gun I shot it out to 1200yards with great accuracy. call the store maybe they have one in stock. embork

I don't know about their rifles but I have used their barrels on two semi-customs using Savage actions and SSS triggers. Both are minute of prairie dog out past 400yds on a calm day. You could do much worse for much more.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

I have 3 shaw barrels, not a problemwith any. I also have a 6.5-06AI in a shaw gun I shot it out to 1200yards with great accuracy. call the store maybe they have one in stock. embork

That's always nice to know, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Several years ago there was an article in one of the hunting magazines on the ER Shaw rifles. I went to their web site and built one in a 300 win mag. It was going to cost me someplace in the 1250 to 1400 range. I emailed them several times with questions about the build that I was considering. They were very prompt about returning my emails and gave very detailed answers, but one thing that bothered me was they were not at all willing to stand behind how well the rifle should shoot. So I kind of lost interest. Then a couple months later I was on Gun Broker and here was an ER Shaw built almost exactly as I was looking at and even in a 300 win mag, the rifle was new never fired. Opening bid was 800. Wife said go ahead, so I didn't ask twice in case she didn't hear me correctly the first time. I picked the rifle up for the opening bid. 300 win. mag., 26 inch spiral fluted barrel plus muzzle brake. It has been a good rifle, will shoot 1/2 inch moa if I do my part. Fairly nice rifle to pack. Accura trigger is decent. Very comfortable rifle to shoot. Glad I purchased it. Hope you and your Dad have as much fun as I've had hunting with my Dad. It's very nice of you to consider purchasing him a gift that he will have and enjoy for ever. Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it should be a good rifle kinda surprised cause usually it's the old if you don't spend $3500 on a full custom it's not worth it kind of crap. I pulled the trigger today on a 6.5 creed 24" tube, heli fluted breaded for break, all blue with black stock. I know he likes thumbhole and shaw told me Boyd's may have the old stock layout they used to use. Now I'm shopping for scopes. I wanna do a light weight nice scope like a bushnell elite. Problem is he will never use turrets so I'm thinking Burris elimanator 3. He can range and shoot. Looks like they come in at the same weight as an SHV. So I'm leaning that route. What do you guys think.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts