Sfp scope poi change

Start this out by saying I have not yet shot any sfp scope to anything of a distance yet due to this being my first experience with one. I have always used a ffp optic and shoot at 1k plus distances on occasion but usually average 5-700 yards for sake of mistake and my ability to take game at that range. That being said I can not afford to buy ffp optics all the time so I was putting together a brush gun for varmints, gun is a ruger american predator chambered in 6mm creed, wanted something different.. anyways I put a vortex crossfire 2 sfp 4.5-16-50 on it and brought it out today to see how it does. Shooting 103 eld x, factory stuff for sight in at 100 yards I found that zeroed at 16x has a dramatic poi change if I switch to 10x. 16x center bull, 10x 1 1/4" high. 10 consecutive rounds, 5 at 16x, 5 at 10x, all consistent groups. Tried adjusting the parallax a little but no change, figured at 100 there really wouldnt be but thought I'd put that in there just for info. Because 9 times out of 10 my scope will stay on a lower power how do you guys compensate for the poi at longer ranges with the sfp optic? I'm assuming 1 1/4" at 100 would be a dramatic number at say 500. Again I havent shot at that distance with this setup only due to not feeling to safe sending it with an unknown impact area. So what's the trick, max out at 16x all the time or stay at 10x and not use the capabilities of the 16x?
Vortex has been awesome to me - all I have had are their Vipers of some flavor and only had to use their warranty due to my own stupidity, never because of scope failure. Still, I would give my money to vortex who is willing to back their product over a company like Nikon who just did a 180 and now has the worst warranty in the industry any day.

Puked 2 Diamondbacks and 2 of my 3 Vipers. The 6.5-20x44 I have left seems good. But I took it off the rifle because I no longer trust the brand. Wanna buy it?.....

Now the Razors are a different animal...

Vortex has been awesome to me - all I have had are their Vipers of some flavor and only had to use their warranty due to my own stupidity, never because of scope failure. Still, I would give my money to vortex who is willing to back their product over a company like Nikon who just did a 180 and now has the worst warranty in the industry any day.
I have 2 vipers as well, 4-16-50 ffp pst a d a 6.5-24-50 ffp hslr, love them both. That's why I went with the vortex crossfire 2 for the brush gun, have had nothing but good experiences till now. I hope I have the same warranty experience I keep hearing about, first time I will be using it with them!

I have 2 vipers as well, 4-16-50 ffp pst a d a 6.5-24-50 ffp hslr, love them both. That's why I went with the vortex crossfire 2 for the brush gun, have had nothing but good experiences till now. I hope I have the same warranty experience I keep hearing about, first time I will be using it with them!
I am pretty hard on my equipment - not intentionally, I just hunt hard in tough terrain. Had a horse roll down a hill with my rum and vortex hslr attached to it. Jacked it up bad - Rode out, got service they overnighted a scope to me to the nearest town hotel so I could keep hunting. I am a vortex fan for life...

I only own one Vortex scope so far. I got mine for 50% off msrp through a Veterans discount and used it for antelope hunting this year. I was impressed by the optics and the turrets. Unless something drastic changes, I will be a fan for the foreseeable future.

I have had a Crossfire 2 4-16x50 for a good number of years now and never had any issue. They certainly don't have the quality that my better scopes have, but it has been reliable. At this point, it will likely be going on a youth deer gun in a year or two.

Start this out by saying I have not yet shot any sfp scope to anything of a distance yet due to this being my first experience with one. I have always used a ffp optic and shoot at 1k plus distances on occasion but usually average 5-700 yards for sake of mistake and my ability to take game at that range. That being said I can not afford to buy ffp optics all the time so I was putting together a brush gun for varmints, gun is a ruger american predator chambered in 6mm creed, wanted something different.. anyways I put a vortex crossfire 2 sfp 4.5-16-50 on it and brought it out today to see how it does. Shooting 103 eld x, factory stuff for sight in at 100 yards I found that zeroed at 16x has a dramatic poi change if I switch to 10x. 16x center bull, 10x 1 1/4" high. 10 consecutive rounds, 5 at 16x, 5 at 10x, all consistent groups. Tried adjusting the parallax a little but no change, figured at 100 there really wouldnt be but thought I'd put that in there just for info. Because 9 times out of 10 my scope will stay on a lower power how do you guys compensate for the poi at longer ranges with the sfp optic? I'm assuming 1 1/4" at 100 would be a dramatic number at say 500. Again I havent shot at that distance with this setup only due to not feeling to safe sending it with an unknown impact area. So what's the trick, max out at 16x all the time or stay at 10x and not use the capabilities of the 16x?
Sounds pretty typical of vortex in my experience. This is why SOOO many people praise their customer service. Because that many people have had to use it. Every. Single. One. I've owned has gone back multiple times. I no longer will purchase a vortex scope.

Vortex is like General Motors, they sell a model for each level of consumer. They sell every thing from the Chevy Spark to the Cadillac Grand Deville. You get what you pay for. You don't expect a Vega to be as good as a Cadillac. And you can't expect a Crossfire to have the quality of a Razor HD.
You get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once

Bad experience?

I'm calling Vortex today about a HSLR that won't return to zero after you dial it up for a long shot. It was supposed to go on a 7RM from the seventies but dad put it on his new rifle, the plan was to swap it out this winter. After we send it in to get "fixed" I still won't trust that scope and now we don't know what to do with it.

Het I had a Vega in high school. It was more reliable than a tasco on a 50bmg. I also use some Vortex Scopes and have had great luck from mine. They are Golden Eagles and Viper PST 2. Several guys at the 1000 yard club in Williamsport use Golden Eagles and like them as well.
Shep

welcome to the world of crappy scopes...

Hate to say it but this is the truth. The last 2 Vortex scopes I tried to sight in (diamondback tactical) neither made it thru sighting in without puking their guts out. My cousin finally just got a refund after his third warranty replacement on one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.