moving scope forward on pic rail, change POI?

scottyboy

has anyone done or know if moving your scope forward on a picatinny rail (0 MOA) changes the POI? i would only be removing the screws on the bases to move it forward, but am reluctant to do so in fear of screwing up my zero. yes, i know i can re-zero, but the nearest point for me to get a exact yardage to rezero is about 7 hours away (my local range doesnt have exact 100's targets. ie 100yds is 112 200 is 177 300 is 344 etc

i am also thinking about adding a butt pad of sorts to help with this situation, but seems like a indirect way of fixing the problem at hand. ive shot just fine with the setup as is, but it is certainly not comfortable for me to get the proper eye relief so i am thinking of making some sort of adjustment, be it the butt pad or wearing 4 sweatshirts when i shoot.

any ideas or thoughts on moving it forward on the pic rail or anything else i could consider for that matter? thank you in advance for any advice. scott

Currently have a 300yd zero and verified my dope out to 600ish. I'm thinking about moving it and if I have to rethink my setup (zero range and dope) I will, but ideally it will stay where it's at for minimizing my hold overs and corrections at my target ranges

I have removed and reinstalled scopes back to the same rail slots without noticeable POI change. Should work, if different slots are used also. But, nothing like this can be 100% guaranteed and would definitely recommend confirming the zero after the move.

If you are wanting to get more eye relief, I would try a LimbSaver slip on recoil pad. The pad should give you a little more length of pull and move your eye back some. If it doesn't work for you just remove it. No big whoop that way. I have long arms and like a longer length of pull. So I use them on my rifles with short LOP and they work great.

Cool thanks barrelnut, that was going to be my fail safe if it was a "ohh crap" moment I wanted to get back to the same slots and pretend like nothing happened. If that has worked for you, I'll probably give her a shot and see what happens.

Of course everything will be 100% validated if/when I do move it...moreso just looking for feedback from anyone that has seen noticeable/drastic change

Thank you!

If you're using a ballistic program to generate your data, it allows u to input and distance you want for your zero. It doesn't have to be exactly 100 yards.

thanks for all the replies. just wanted to follow up on this and say that i did not notice any POI shift when i moved my scope forward. while i didnt move it a whole lot, just 2 notches forward. initially the rear base was flush with the end of the rail, moved it to where you see in the picture and everything is good! verified my dope out to 500, so all in all it was a good morning on the range gun)

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 835
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.