set triggers

Mossie

I have been looking at Tikka rifles on their webpage. I am considering either a .260 or 7mm-08 cartridge for it. The rifle will be for whitetail hunting in PA.

I notice that a set trigger is an option. Is this something that would be good on a still hunting/stand rifle? I think the standard triggers adjust from 2-4 lbs. and the set trigger is non-adjustable and breaks about 9oz. as best that I can find. Their webpage doesn't say what the set trigger is but I have noticed a few posts during my research on them.

Is a set trigger something I would want on a hunting rifle; or is it for bench shooting?

Also; I have been looking at Browning rifles but I never see any posts on this site concerning them. What's wrong with Browning rifles other than the made in Japan thing?

9 oz would be very very light to have on a hunting rifle. More geared towards precision varmint or BR shooting. The Tikka 2-4 trigger is very nice for a factory trigger and takes about 10 minutes to adjust (take off stock and use a simple alan wrench to turn the adjustor and it is idiot proof). I have mine set on 2 pounds and I wouldn't want it any lighter for a cary rifle.

I have not had a chance to look at the rifles yet; so I don't know for sure how a set trigger works. I think you would have the standard trigger at 2-4 lbs. and if you push it forward it sets so it would have the 9 oz. pull at that point. I think it can be used either way but don't know for sure.

I am thinking that if you set it to the lighter pull and then passed on the shot; you could leave it on the safe position and pull it back to the standard 2-4 lbs. pull. I know the Sako's had the set triggers on their rifles and now the Tikka's do as an option.

Anyone know for sure how they work?

I have a Browning A-bolt Stalker in 7WSM as my lightweight carry rifle. After bedding and free floating it is a good 3/4 MOA gun with the occasional 1/2 MOA group. I don't believe there is anything wrong with them, they just aren't as friendly to customize as a Remington 700. They certainly aren't as easy to bed!!

The set trigger is a nice feature. The regular trigger works as expected. Push forward to "set", the trigger pull weight and creep are reduced dramatically.

Use the regular trigger most of the time and set it for target or long range shooting. Safe, very handy feature.

Thanks Grit,

That's what I was thinking too. Should be safe enough to hunt with on the standard pull and I can still have a very light trigger for rested shots in the field and bench. I don't know how much extra it is for the set triggers yet.

I kind of want it in 260 Remington but the Tikka is 1:9 twist and it may not shoot too well with bullets over 130 grains. From what I have researched the 1:8 twist is much better for this cartridge.

Anyone have a 1:9 twist Tikka in .260?

I don't have one. May well be my next rifle. I am a big fan of both the caliber and the rifle. I can address the twist issue.

My bullet of choice would be Bergers 140vld. Berger recomends a 1 in 9 twist. Bc is .640. I don't think 2900 fps would be unreasonable. This would be very pleasant to shoot, and extremely effective on game. I wouldn't personally look at bigger bullets because the velocity falls too much. Frankly, this bullet / cartridge is about ideal.

Let me offer another option. CZ offers the 550 American in the 6.5X55 (swede) case. I own one of these rifles in 243win. It is one of my most liked and most accurate rifles. CZ also offers a set trigger. It is a standard feature and the rifle will come with it. CZ is using an 8.6 twist rate for the 6.5.

At first glance in a loading manual you will see loads for a 140 grain pill equall to or slightly less than loads for the 260. However, the 6.5 is a bigger case. The maximum pressure for the 6.5 is set in defference to the numerous older swedish mausers in circulation today. I'll stick my neck out here and say the 6.5 can easily and safely be loaded to noticably outperform the 260 in a new bolt action! Anyway, just another option. Can't go wrong iether way!

Griz,

I will check that cartridge out as well; I am going to wait till the dealers get stocked back up and then check all the different models out. The CZ is another one that I want to shoulder a few times. I am considering Browning X-Bolt; CZ American and the Tikka Hunters in 7mm-08; 260 Remington and the 6.5x55 cartridges. The light recoil of the 120 grain .260 is appealing but I think if I were going to use 140's the 7mm-08 would be ok as well.

The set-trigger seems like it might be a nice thing to have on a rifle. Lots of choices these days.

I'm not so sure that you can get the set triggers on rifles imported to the USA in a Tikka. I tried when I bought mine a year ago and wasn't able to find one. Maybe things are different now.

The 260 will push the 140vld to 2900fps. The bullets bc is .640.
The 7-08 will push a 140 vld to 2950fps. The bullets bc is .509.

The 260 bullet will dramatically outperform the 7mm bullet at long range. To get a 7mm bullet of equal bc you have to jump to the 168 grain. Velocity falls to 2700 and recoil increases substantially.

I'd stick with the 6.5mm calibers. It is a superb, if underrated family! If you want a lighter bullet the 130 accubond would be tough to beat.

My opinions are based long range performance. If long range isn't a concern, the points are moot.

Anyway, enjoy the shopping and research. I sure do!

The bc's on those 6.5 bullets are fantastic and yes; long distance is the reason I am looking so closely at this bullet. This is for a very low recoil whitetail/varmint/predator rifle. I feel it would be ideal for 400 yard shots and I would watch impact with an 8lb. rifle. Set trigger would be nice to have but isn't a big issue if I can't get it. There isn't a whole lot of manufacturers chambering the .260 rem. this year. For some reason the 6.5's never really catch on in the US.

I do need to take a much closer look at the 6.5 x 55; it probably is a much better case over the .260 rem. and getting cases or loaded ammo would not be that much of an issue either. Thanks for the tips. Browning doesn't chamber a .264 so it's Tikka or CZ. I hope I like the feel of one of these.

Last edited:
I have a CZ with a set trigger. It is very very nice! Never checked but, but I would say somewhere 8 to 10 oz. I would recommend the CZ rifle.

I have two CZs with single set triggers...and I LOVE THEM. As other posters have said you simply push the trigger forward to set it otherwise it is a 4-5lb pull. Both of mine are a little different. My 22-250 is about a pound once set. My 6.5x55 is about 2lbs when set. I am not sure how they would work if you spot and stalk but for stand hunting you can not beat it. When using it you simply set the trigger and put the crosshairs on your target and pull/touch the trigger. You do not have time to get nervous and if your rifle is sighted in you should make incredibly good shots. I looked into buying single set triggers for my other rifles and was stunned at how much they cost. Needless to say I did not buy any of them but in the future will not buy a rifle without one unless of course I find another Browning BBR in GREAT condition.:D

I do want to make one more observation...they can be VERY dangerous if you/the shooter is not careful. I would NOT recommend allowing a youth to use one...simply too dangerous.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.