Remington 700 Recall Timney Trigger solution

ZeeRo7

Hello everyone, im sure just like the rest of the 700 owners are pretty upset about this fiasco; I am too. Along with many other people amd reading I have done, many are just opting to put in a Timney trigger and be good to go, instead of sending it back to Remington for who know how long. My question is, if I put in the Timney (ill have a gunsmith do it) will I be good to go? In terms of taking it out on a hunt. Ill be going on my first hunt soon and I would want to be worry free. Excuse me for being rather late to this topic but I just found out.

If it is installed right you will be good to go. Most of them are factory set right around 3 lbs. My brother, dad, and I all dropped in Timneys and never looked back.

Put in a Timney or other aftermarket trigger, regardless of whether you do it yourself or have a smith do it for you. No way would I send it back to Remington the way they have handled this recall so poorly and didn't do anything on the Walker trigger for decades that ended up being the cause of thousands of misfires, accidents, and double digit deaths when they went off and the rifle happened to be pointed where it shouldn't have been. Changing the trigger is simple if you can follow a few steps in the instructions and they'll set the pull rate for you before it's sent out and you'll be good to go compared to relying on Remington.

I just picked up a Remington 700 and after much investigation, decided to install a Timney trigger. I called Remington and the support rep said the turn around time for the recall would be 12+ weeks! I asked her what trigger they would be replacing it with and she said they merely remove the original trigger, give it a "deep cleaning" to remove the excess adhesive on the screws and re-install it. Huh? I then called a local gunsmith and to have him to the same thing and adjust the trigger would run me about $125. I picked up a Timney #501 on eBay for $134 shipped and installed it myself with a hammer and punch. Pretty simple really. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing the procedure.
I had thought about installing a Jewel trigger but didn't think a stock 700 hunting rifle justified the extra $110. Just install a Timney and go shooting!

*edit* I forgot to mention that when I was removing the X-Mark trigger, a big chunk of what looked like epoxy fell out of it. Yikes! Just verified I was doing the right thing.

Yeah im definitely not sending it back to Remington. 8 years to fix a problem that existed way before the recall is just a horrible way of handling it. Im just gonna put the timney in it. I love my 700 (CDL) great shooter. And im not bashing Remingtons firearms, I just think they really dropped the ball on this one. Ill still be purchasing Remington firearms (870 next on list), just a shame how this turned out. Thanks for the
Input from everyone. I feel reassured about putting the timney In.

If you order it from Timney, they can send you one with the narrower factory width trigger at no charge. Or at least they did for me. They also set my poundage which was too much, so I had my smith lower it when he installed it.

When I got the recall notice from Remington I installed a Timney and threw the Remington in the garbage (well, in the metal recycling bin) cuz it ain't worth the hassle working through the recall maze. If you haven't done a DIY trigger replacement I salute you for having your gunsmith do it. It isn't difficult and it doesn't take a lot of time but if you haven't done it before you can run into some minor problems that paying your "smith" for an hour of his time (it won't take him that long) is a very smart choice.
I can tell you some horror stories about guns I've had brought to me "after" the guy tried to do some minor work himself when he thought (or was told) he could but he couldn't :)

Yeah ive never put a trigger in. Or taken one out. And I know better than to start removing things without the know how. Perhaps on a project build for fun is where I will start tinkering with things like that. For now ill have a qualified individual do it. Im really excited to put the timney in. I already shoot fair/good with the xmark but all the rave I hear about the timney only leads me to beleive itll
Be night and day difference. Ive never shot with a timney trigger in particular, but I have shot a remington 700 custom build with a custom trigger, and man oh man was that awesome.

I found the Remington X-Mark Pro to be a suitable hunting trigger. Stiff enough to be safe but with a crisp release with excellent stacking and no creep. Mine responded very nicely to a steady and even application of trigger pressure. IMO, with some discipline, it actually prevents premature discharges (excitement can sometimes cause a shooter to become too eager on the trigger). If there was any over-travel I couldn't detect it and the trigger reset quickly.
When you decide to try your hand at trigger replacement, just be sure to use a block to support the trigger, make certain that there's a hole beneath the trigger pins for the pins to extend into when they move out of the trigger housing, use the appropriate size pin punch (brass punches recommended) and understand that the sear spring can fly out of the trigger housing when you least expect it. It's also a good idea to understand that the bolt stop pin and the sear pin are different sizes and the bolt stop/release lever and its associated spring can be challenging to reassemble. Having an extra set of pins (and maybe a sear spring) on hand doesn't hurt either. Even expert gunsmiths sometimes find themselves looking for the sear spring that got away. :D

+1 for timney. I've installed jard trigger in my ar15, which is a sweet trigger, but it's more work and you have to make sure you know what you are doing or you can end up with slam fires etc and an unsafe gun.

I just recently installed a timney trigger in my ar10 and though the ar15 jard trigger is lighter, the timney trigger is very nice, easy to install... A no brainer, and I would definitely buy another based on my experience to date. Now I know I'm no expert as I've only owned one timney trigger, but I've got to say I'm impressed.

Good luck.

I've got a new Sendero in 7mag, even before the recall came up, i replaced the stock trigger with a Timney, very, very, happy with it. I did turn it down just a little, no creep, no slack, just a very nice crisp trigger. Read the instructions, and you can do it yourself. If you feel uncomfortable doing it, have some one that can do it for you.

:) I too am a Reminton 700 Owner but I haven't had any malfunctions with my Factory Trigger , but I have been thinking about another Trigger that would perform smoother . I wish you and All The Hunters a Fantastic Hunting Season .

The trigger on my 700 has also not malfunctioned, but after hearing about the recall and potential problems I have to swap it out. I wouldnt want to keep the rifle in a constant state of "what if" I like to be sure my firearms are always good to go. Plus a timney would be a huge improvement that I very much look forward to. Just like all of us (700 owners) its just an "excuse" to fix our rifles. Lol. May you also have a safe and successful hunting season. Bring home the meat!

The trigger on my 700 has also not malfunctioned, but after hearing about the recall and potential problems I have to swap it out. I wouldnt want to keep the rifle in a constant state of "what if" I like to be sure my firearms are always good to go. Plus a timney would be a huge improvement that I very much look forward to. Just like all of us (700 owners) its just an "excuse" to fix our rifles. Lol. May you also have a safe and successful hunting season. Bring home the meat!

I think you'll be very pleased ZeeRo with your decision to pick up a timney. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts