Sendero to Cooper???

I'm not convinced you can build off your 700 for what a Cooper costs. A Jackson game or Excalibur will run around $2k. You're probably already into your Sendero for close to a grand. by the time you true action ($200-$300), add custom barrel ($300), have it chambered ($200-300), you're already there. and it still has the same factory bolt and ejector, bottom metal, stock, trigger, etc.

If you had a cheapo rem 700 SPS or something, I would say build off it. but if you forego the Cooper route and want to go custom, sell the Sendero and buy a custom receiver - start from there.

I'm not convinced you can build off your 700 for what a Cooper costs. A Jackson game or Excalibur will run around $2k. You're probably already into your Sendero for close to a grand. by the time you true action ($200-$300), add custom barrel ($300), have it chambered ($200-300), you're already there. and it still has the same factory bolt and ejector, bottom metal, stock, trigger, etc.

If you had a cheapo rem 700 SPS or something, I would say build off it. but if you forego the Cooper route and want to go custom, sell the Sendero and buy a custom receiver - start from there.

Are you serious? I can build a 700 BDL with a blueprinted action, Bartlein barrel, HS stock, and Jewell trigger for around $1,200, if I already have the action and bottom metal assembly.

He already has the HS Precision stock, the BDL assembly, and the 700 action...All he needs is the $350 Bartlein barrel blank, a $250 Jewell trigger, and a gunsmith. If he kept the same HS stock, he could build that rifle for probably $1,000 (if gunsmithing fees are high), or less, if the gunsmith's fees are more reasonable.

The OP said he bought the rifle new back in 1997... So I don't see how you can really include the original cost of the rifle (when it was purchased nearly 20 years ago), versus what a "chaepo rem 700 SPS" would cost. Especially since he would have to go out and buy an SPS to build off of, and he already has an excellent platform to start a custom build of.

Are you serious? I can build a 700 BDL with a blueprinted action, Bartlein barrel, HS stock, and Jewell trigger for around $1,200, if I already have the action and bottom metal assembly.

He already has the HS Precision stock, the BDL assembly, and the 700 action...All he needs is the $350 Bartlein barrel blank, a $250 Jewell trigger, and a gunsmith. If he kept the same HS stock, he could build that rifle for probably $1,000 (if gunsmithing fees are high), or less, if the gunsmith's fees are more reasonable.

The OP said he bought the rifle new back in 1997... So I don't see how you can really include the original cost of the rifle (when it was purchased nearly 20 years ago), versus what a "chaepo rem 700 SPS" would cost. Especially since he would have to go out and buy an SPS to build off of, and he already has an excellent platform to start a custom build of.

Personally I would build or should I say enhance, but I also have never been overly attracted to coopers. BUT part of the reason for this thread is the op is tired of his stock. I would shop some manners or mcmillans, add a jewell and lay out some deer.

Op just wants something new, but a new stock could breathe some new life into your opinion of your current rifle. A lot of guys would like to have that sendero as a base for a build.

you just proved my point in both of your scenarios.

You even admit you can build a custom for $1200 if you have the action - a cost you need to include in the equation (unless it was free?). Assume a Rem action goes for about 500 - yes, I know you can sometimes find them cheaper. Even your proposition is $1700 (1200 + 500), right? Still has a low quality bottom metal, extractor, etc. All things that would be much higher quality on a Cooper.

And why would you not include the cost of the rifle at today's market value in your equation or decision analysis?

I'm not suggesting he buy an SPS. I said if he had an SPS, it would make more sense to build off it, but since its a Sendero, it has a higher market value (he's already had 1 guy ask if he's selling it in this thread). If he truly wants a custom, my suggestion would be sell the Sendero and start from scratch with a custom action. Just my opinion.. he's free to build what he wants.. sounds like he's got $2500 to work with.

I wouldn't want to mess with a sendero. They are nice rifles right out of the box, especially older ones. If you're bored or worst comes to worst switch out the stock for a nice McMillian and drop in a jewel trigger. Or keep the sendero stock and buy that cooper you want. I am strictly a Remington fan so anything that is not a 700 is blasphemy in my book (unless its a 700 clone of course). :D

You even admit you can build a custom for $1200 if you have the action - a cost you need to include in the equation (unless it was free?). Assume a Rem action goes for about 500 - yes, I know you can sometimes find them cheaper. Even your proposition is $1700 (1200 + 500), right? Still has a low quality bottom metal, extractor, etc. All things that would be much higher quality on a Cooper.

And why would you not include the cost of the rifle at today's market value in your equation or decision analysis?

I'm not suggesting he buy an SPS. I said if he had an SPS, it would make more sense to build off it, but since its a Sendero, it has a higher market value (he's already had 1 guy ask if he's selling it in this thread). If he truly wants a custom, my suggestion would be sell the Sendero and start from scratch with a custom action. Just my opinion.. he's free to build what he wants.. sounds like he's got $2500 to work with.
I have never had a problem with the "low quality bottom metal" or ever had any extractor issues on any of my Rem 700 rifles. How is the bottom metal assembly higher quality on a Cooper? They're aluminum just like every other manufacturer's on the market.

Why would I not include the cost of the rifle in today's market... Because the rifle has been paid for 20 years, and was not purchased solely for the purpose of building a custom out of. And Senderos only cost about $650 back in 1997 (what an SPS costs now). It's not like he's going out and buying a brand new Sendero SFII and snatching it apart to build a custom out of, or going and buying a donor SPS just for the action. If that were the case, then including the cost in his price would make sense. But since the OP doesn't have to buy his donor rifle twice, I don't think it fair to include the value in the assessment of a rifle he's owned and used for 20 years. It's all in how you look at it...Personal opinion.

If the OP wants to sell it and buy a Cooper, then it is his money and his choice, and by-all-means, that is his right to do so. I was just making him aware of the fact that he could use his current action to build a custom out of to save money, and that he already has a great platform to start with.

FWIW I think that this whole conversation has to do with the two words "need" and "want." I know absolutely nothing about the Cooper's, but I am told they are nice. If you "wants" something like that, then go for it. If you "want" to build a custom, then go for it. The original poster has all they "need." Most of us very seldom "need" a custom for the most part, but most of us "want" one if we don't have one. As I would like to have a dozen long range rifles, I only really "need" one, so that is why I am going to turn my Sendero into a semi custom. If I had a little more budget or felt like saving for an extended period of time to get it done, I would just build a second rifle. Everybody does it a little different, different strokes for different folks. I haven't really heard anybody make any incorrect points yet, just have to sort through the conversations to see what works for what our "wants," "needs," and desires are.

he is keeping the sendero and getting another gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.