Sendero to Cooper???

Dirt_Nap

I'm looking to sell my Sendero 25-06 for a custom/semi custom rifle. Zero issues with the Sendero but I would love to have something where i get exactly what I want. I'm not looking for anything extravagant just a good stock (b&c, etc), and medium contour barrel that is fluted, and a few other small things. I'm looking at Cooper and I want to be $2500+\-. Any thoughts

I'm looking to sell my Sendero 25-06 for a custom/semi custom rifle. Zero issues with the Sendero but I would love to have something where i get exactly what I want. I'm not looking for anything extravagant just a good stock (b&c, etc), and medium contour barrel that is fluted, and a few other small things. I'm looking at Cooper and I want to be $2500+\-. Any thoughts

If you're Sendero is 100% factory original, the stock is an HS Precision... It is a higher quality stock than a B&C Medalist. I have several rifles with each of them, and the HS is without a doubt, the higher quality. The B&C Medalist stocks are excellent stocks for the sub-$300 price range, but the HS is a lot more solid of a stock. So, you already have an excellent stock for your build.

Also, your Sendero .25-06 is an excellent rifle. If you are wanting something semi-custom, just have your Sendero action blueprinted, have a new barrel chambered for whatever caliber you want, and have the action bedded. And maybe swap in a Jewell trigger. You already have one of the best starting platforms for a semi-custom/custom rifle build that you could possibly have.

What caliber are you wanting? And what are you wanting to change? If you like the .25-06, you should give the .25-06 AI 40-Degree a try. It really ramps up the velocity to within 100 fps of the .257 Weatherby, but you can use all your current brass, bullets, etc... The only thing you will have to change is your dies.

I want to keep it 25-06. It is original. Never thought of just building on it. I really just want another stock, another barrel, and for it to be blueprinted. Any $ in selling the original stock and barrel to offset the custom work? Who can I trust to do the work and what should I expect to pay +\-?

I want to keep it 25-06. It is original. Never thought of just building on it. I really just want another stock, another barrel, and for it to be blueprinted. Any $ in selling the original stock and barrel to offset the custom work? Who can I trust to do the work and what should I expect to pay +\-?
How much for the factory stock, barrel, and trigger?

The factory stocks bring fair money, the factory barrel depends on how much life is left in it (round count) to determine the value, and the factory trigger is probably worth about $25-35.

Semi-custom = less money, more time and work.
Cooper = more money.
I have a Cooper 300 WM that shoots in the .3s, and it was easy to find a good load for.

I have been faced with a similar dilema. I want to shoot the 8 twist 7mm barrel for the new 195's. I have a darn good 7RM barrel on my sendero rifht now with a nice Longrifles Inc brake. When hunting season is over in early October for me, I am going to rebarrel. I had an adjustable cheek piece put in my sendero stock and installed a jewel trigger. Pretty cool gun but I want that added luxury of the 195's so I am probably going to put my barrel for sale on here when I take it off and will be fitted with the brake and everything. Just something about a custom barrel/rifle that sometimes you just gotta scratch the itch!

I went through the same process as the OP about 5 years ago. I own very solid factory and custom rifles and have had good success with them. I got the urge to try a Cooper. I got the Model 52, in 6.5x284, Jackson Hunter (synthetic stock). It might be considered a semi-custom, but from an accuracy, workmanship, and design standpoint IMO it will stand with any of my(and my hunting buddies) custom hunting rifles. With a few dozen long range deer/antelope and a bunch of coyotes, it's been my go to hunting rifle since I got it. I think there are lots of good options mentioned, but if you are attracted to the Cooper, get one, you won't regret it.

I agree with Greyfox.
Cooper is just an easy solution, easy choice, and I also find mine a go-to gun.
They used to be less expensive(~$1400), but hell, everything is going crazy on prices now..

If there is nothing really wrong with your sendero, I would suggest keeping it and building a different rifle. Nothing wrong with having two 25-06's

I'd go with a Cooper. In the end I think you'll be happier with a rifle that won't take a lot of tinkering... unless you're into that sort of thing.

You could build a great rifle off the Sendero for a lot less than the cost of a Cooper but I think a person has to have the build itch for that type of thing (witch a lot of us do ). If you want a no hassle, no wait close to custom rifle then the Coopers are a nice rifle I have had a few customs built now ,and I also owned a Cooper I do like my customs better as they are my choices for parts but Coopers do shoot really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.