Seating die squish???

Sometimes there's a "jimp" along the rim of the case mouth. I'm not familiar with the Redding seater die, but I suspect that it is high quality. ...which means tight tolerances. I have a similar seating die with a sleeve which travels with the case mouth up as the bullet is pushed into the case mouth. If a "jimp" in the case mouth catches on that "tight tolerance" sleeve, the mouth never enters the sleeve properly, and when you lever it home, the case mouth gets crunched by the sleeve. I suggest a first step of neck sizing (even a partial neck size) of the brass to round out any imperfections on the neck rim. Suggest backing your sizing die off a full turn or more as all you want to do is work the rim of the case mouth, right? Although not conclusive, a look at the photo indicates to me that the "crunched" case is shorter than the "un-crunched" case, which means that something in your process (like the sleeve), didn't fit the way it should. I have had this happen with the sleeve, but I've also had it happen if I inadvertently slipped a 6.5 bullet into my .257 die!! Other than that, it is unlikely that it happened due to a bullet fit, or a crimp fit as that would have happened consistently ...not just once. I further recommend Hornady's bullet puller!! I regret to say that I use it a lot when I "change my mind" on something. ;)

Hi All, I'm wondering what happened here:
View attachment 383697
Trying to seat these BD2s in 7-08, and this one, the third case through, does this. We did 20 others and they all came out (and shot) fine. Is this a defect in the case, some weird interaction with the seating die, or something else I'm not seeing? I'd like to avoid randomly squishing cases in the future. This was the standard Redding seating die with micrometer.
Side by side with factory ammo, since we shot all the others we

View attachment 383697
Trying to seat these BD2s in 7-08, and this one, the third case through, does this. We did 20 others and they all came out (and shot) fine. Is this a defect in the case, some weird interaction with the seating die, or something else I'm not seeing? I'd like to avoid randomly squishing cases in the future. This was the standard Redding seating die with micrometer.
Side by side with factory ammo, since we shot all the others we loaded up:
View attachment 383701

Also, should we shoot this? I'm tempted to see if it chambers, and if it does can we fireform this back into proper shape?
Looks like a crimping issue .Dies seem to be incorrectly adjusted.

I recently had this same issue while seating bullets with virgin brass. My die was set up properly. My issue turned out to be the necks were too small from the factory and needed to be run through an expander. I posted a tread titled "Fix for buckled shoulders" on this forum last month. I waited over 6 months for my brass and didn't want to loose any.

View attachment 383697
View attachment 383701

Also, should we shoot this? I'm tempted to see if it chambers, and if it does can we fireform this back into proper shape?
I think a couple of others here have mentioned it, if you're crimping, back off the crimp in your seating die, Occam's razor. Cheers

Pull the bullet, dump the powder back into the scale and throw it in the garbage, problem solved. I think the OP said this was the only one that did this. Isolated instance. May have to delve into some more if it continues to happen, but your dies did not magically become out of adjustment and then back on. If anything it was case length related in this instance. IMHO

Pull the bullet, dump the powder back into the scale and throw it in the garbage, problem solved. I think the OP said this was the only one that did this. Isolated instance. May have to delve into some more if it continues to happen, but your dies did not magically become out of adjustment and then back on. If anything it was case length related in this instance. IMHO
Agreed! I do not support magic dies…

Is this why Lapua puts 101 cases in a new box?… On the off chance that a human mistake enters the box.

I had this happen with 280 ai brass. A neck had a ding and the bullet hung up and started squishing the neck down. I now neck size and chamfer new brass.
It's possible you had a long case causing this but in my experience nosler brass has been consistent in length.

If that was the only one of 23 or so, Per OP. I would suggest checking the overall length first, then I would chamfer the inside of brass. Probably had a bur or a slight deformity in the neck. I have notice Hornady QC is slipping I found 2 pcs of 308 brass in a bag of 7-08. I bought from store. I have notice brass from factory sometimes is various lengths. Just my thoughts.

View attachment 383697
View attachment 383701

Your seating die is not set up correctly.

I still don't get how you collapse a neck -with bullet seating -and not notice all the force it takes to do that.
There just has to be a staggering lack of attention behind this reloading.

Sometimes there's a "jimp" along the rim of the case mouth. I'm not familiar with the Redding seater die, but I suspect that it is high quality. ...which means tight tolerances. I have a similar seating die with a sleeve which travels with the case mouth up as the bullet is pushed into the case mouth. If a "jimp" in the case mouth catches on that "tight tolerance" sleeve, the mouth never enters the sleeve properly, and when you lever it home, the case mouth gets crunched by the sleeve. I suggest a first step of neck sizing (even a partial neck size) of the brass to round out any imperfections on the neck rim. Suggest backing your sizing die off a full turn or more as all you want to do is work the rim of the case mouth, right? Although not conclusive, a look at the photo indicates to me that the "crunched" case is shorter than the "un-crunched" case, which means that something in your process (like the sleeve), didn't fit the way it should. I have had this happen with the sleeve, but I've also had it happen if I inadvertently slipped a 6.5 bullet into my .257 die!! Other than that, it is unlikely that it happened due to a bullet fit, or a crimp fit as that would have happened consistently ...not just once. I further recommend Hornady's bullet puller!! I regret to say that I use it a lot when I "change my mind" on something. ;)
I think this is the cause I'm leaning towards, manufacturing defect that caused the case to catch and then collapse.
Many are suggesting crimp issues, but to my knowledge the redding seating die does not crimp. And I only had this issue with 1 out of 21. Next time I'll run an expander ball down the necks like I do for my norma 270wsm brass. I'll second the hornady bullet puller, I'm just waiting for the 7mm collet for it to come in.
I still don't get how you collapse a neck -with bullet seating -and not notice all the force it takes to do that.
There just has to be a staggering lack of attention behind this reloading.
It was my dad running the press, and only his 3rd or so operation, but he said it didn't feel any different. He could have simply still been getting a feel for the press, or it really did fold easily.