Seating depth test distance

Steve bonson

Hello, at what distance would you guys shoot a seating depth test for a 243 using nosler 70 grain ballistic tips? I was leaning towards 100 yards to help with environmental effects, will I see enough difference that close? Thank you

100 yards if that's your distance for load development, that's where most of us do it. For seating depth, don't get into the weeds. Start coarse, find the trend, pick a spot, be happy. I start at .010 off the lands, then go to .040 off, then .080 off and then .120 off. I've never found anything that likes .120" jump. Most things like between .010 and .040. If it likes it better at .010 than .040, then try touching and .010 jam noting that pressures will almost certainly climb so if you're flattening primers at .010 jump, probably don't go jamming or even touching.

Boxtobenchprecision.com has a fantastic load develop,ent target that gives you the jump distances I listed. It's made my load dev process much shorter.

100 yards is a good test distance because it helps eliminate the shooter error and concentrates on the load differences. Once you have the best groups (Measured with a vernier or precision instrument) then you can stretch the distance out to evaluate the bullet performance.

I prefer Magazine length minus .010 to start and lengthen or shorten until I see the sweet spot.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thanks guys I appreciate it, I have a second question, what are your opinions on running seating depth test while fireforming? I've read somewhere that guys do both in conjunction, would that be muddying the waters too much?

depends on the rifle potential.
I have shot a 200 where holes were stacked on top of each other.
you need enough distance to see the effect of each change.
200 at least, maybe 300 if you can get a calm day and or wind flags

Well, given that seating alone has the biggest affect to results, I'm sure you could test at 50yds.
Believe me, if you run Berger recommended full seating testing (which is coarse to begin), you will easily see best at 100yds. And fire-forming is a great time to do it.

Then, with that best coarse seating, move on to load development, then with best powder load, fine tweak seating for tightest group shaping. This, you would do at furthest group shooting distance (like a ladder).

Use the Berger method at 100 yds as most do. Like you said, it helps eliminate enviromentals. Been fire forming 243AI loads and Didn't have to try very hard to find a load that shot well and was shooting AMAX's. With the Berger bullets, I have found that one will be OBVIOUSLY better than the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts