Primer Seating Depth Test

orkan

Recently had a gentleman ask about methodology for a primer seating depth test with our Competition Primer Seater. I'll likely have an article on it in the future in the Primal Rights library section, but for now, I thought I'd post the quick and ugly version, in the event others are having the same questions. By the way, our CPS is back in stock and we've got some amazing new primer tubes that ship with the unit which are compatible with the Double Alpha PrimaFill! They are even color matched, so black tube for black shuttle, red tube for red shuttle!

0I2dBxll.jpg

---------------------------------------
Measure the primer pocket depths.
Measure the overall primer thickness.
Measure the anvil protrusion.

So if your primer pocket depth is .130, and your primer thickness is .125, you'd need to be 5 thousandths below flush to have anvil contact. If your anvil protrudes 10 thousandths from the top of the cup, then you know you can go to 15 thousandths below flush before you have full crush and the cup contacts the bottom of the pocket. So there's your window.

So you start at anvil contact, shoot your test shots, then click the CPS one click (one thousandth) deeper. You'll often measure a linear movement in the primer that will equal your adjustment, but if you don't... don't sweat it because the primers tend to take a set and deform. So even though you have 10 thousandths or whatever of room, it might take more clicks than that to get it to the final adjustment. The key is, to test at each adjustment of the CPS, regardless whether it provides a measurable change in primer seating depth. So you fire your test rounds at each click of the CPS, until full crush or maybe a couple clicks past it.

Make sure to fire an appreciable number of rounds at each setting. Obviously the rest of your reloading, rifle, optic, and skills ecosystem must be fully tuned if you're to see a substantiated benefit here.

If you have any questions, feel free to call.

Thank you,

Greg Dykstra
Primal Rights, Inc
605-554-1911

The indicated K&M accounts for each pocket depth, and each primer height, for each primer to be seated, in each case.
Correct primer seating is then anvil contact with pocket bottom plus 2-5thou crush, as indicated.
I've found that Feds like 2thou crush while CCIs like 5thou for both large and small primers.
With greater crushing you risk primer damage, with no potential gain in doing so.

I'm sure your product is fine,, not bashing it or anything.
Just passing on a relative summary that primer manufacturers would endorse.

Correct primer seating is then anvil contact with pocket bottom plus 2-5thou crush, as indicated.
I've found that Feds like 2thou crush while CCIs like 5thou for both large and small primers.
With greater crushing you risk primer damage, with no potential gain in doing so.
That may be where the primer manufacturers like them... but without testing and seating with a device that has a mechanical stop such as the CPS... it will be difficult to find where your rifle's ignition system likes them to be.

Please feel free to start your own thread, about any priming device that you wish. I will give my word that I will not post in it. However, I would like this thread to stay on track regarding our device, such is the topic.

I watched a couple vid's on the primer seater and where things are indexing off of. It seems to me that a connecting rod bolt stretch gauge with the anvil replaced with a headspase gauge insert would be the best way to measure primer depths.
Tool's pretty accurate (usually .0005"), and indexing off the shoulder datum line would prob be the best primer measurement available.

I watched a couple vid's on the primer seater and where things are indexing off of. It seems to me that a connecting rod bolt stretch gauge with the anvil replaced with a headspase gauge insert would be the best way to measure primer depths.
Tool's pretty accurate (usually .0005"), and indexing off the shoulder datum line would prob be the best primer measurement available.
We've got this solved already with our PrimeWhere.

6RDJpAfh.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

How would one measure the anvil protrusion accurately?
It's easy for large primers, just slip the end of the caliper jaws between the anvil prongs and measure cup height. Subtract that measurement from overall primer height.

Fellas, I've expended more money and effort on priming and ignition than you can imagine... so just give me a call if you have any questions about all this. Happy to take you through it.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

Last edited:
A couple things are at play here. If your concerned about "ignition timing" then the distance from the shoulder datum to the primer cup must be uniform. Since the amount of clearance in the chamber also plays a role in accuracy that means if you have consistent bumps, and consistent "ignition timing" them you will also have consistent seating depths below the case head. The amount of crush you put on a primer effects accuracy, seating by feel actually puts them in a good spot, so long as you have a good tool and can feel it. But that does take practice. Seating to some number that you think is right, may not result in the best accuracy. The testing I have done showed me a primer liked a certain crush based off its original height. You can go down a rabbit hole for sure. If your going to seat to a depth you really should test this to determine the right depth.

Sorry old thread revival!

Why not make a Primeware V2 that uses the Lee shellholders and/or shoulder bushings as the case holder. That way you are holding on the top of the rim which is a machined surface or the datum circle which is the chamber datum or contact point?

Sorry old thread revival!

Why not make a Primeware V2 that uses the Lee shellholders and/or shoulder bushings as the case holder. That way you are holding on the top of the rim which is a machined surface or the datum circle which is the chamber datum or contact point?
If this question is for the Op ? He is taking a leave of absence from forums and you would need to contact him by other means.

Recent Posts