SD and extreme spread?

bangstick

I went to the range today to do a seating depth test for my wife's 6.5-284. I had three depths .015, .030,.045. The only one that shot good was .015 off lands. At 100 yards it shoot 4 shots in a dime. But the SD was 29 and ES was 13.2. Does a guy just stay with this group based on group size and leave it alone ? Or is the sd and es to high and start over or tweak ? I don't know what to do at this point

Attachments

• IMG_9978.jpeg
    IMG_9978.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9981.jpeg
    IMG_9981.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 140
Go shoot that load at distance and see how it does.
Holes in paper don't lie - chronographs can fool you. Shoot that same rifle-load etc over one of the new Garmin Chrony's and the SD will be less. Labradar and Garmin use different algorithms to calculate their SD's.
ok. I also thought about going .3 up and down in powder also. But i will definitely take it out to distance and try it again. So 3-400 yards and shoot a group?
I just feel so lost when a guy cuts paper like that and the numbers ain't good.

An SD of 29 and an ES of 13.2 don't make sense to me. Usually ES is larger than SD.

Personally I would put in more time with the accurate load and see how it does at longer distances.

He has it switched. It was actually an ES of 29 and SD of 13.2. If you look at the chrono in the pic, you can see it.

Recent Posts