SS Tumbling and link to increased extreme spread?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Rockfish Dave, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Rockfish Dave

Rockfish Dave Well-Known Member

anyone seen an increase in extreme spread by cleaning with Stainless Steel media over tradional cob or shell media?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. vinson

vinson Active Member

I've not seen any indication of that. I've been SS tumbling for about a year now and have 1000+ reloads since with no noticed increase in ES/SD across several calibers.

3. mitch260

mitch260 Well-Known Member

I've seen increased ES when using a sonic cleaner because it can get the neck too clean and cause uneven neck tension/friction. I don't have any experience with ss media though.

4. bill123

bill123 Well-Known Member

Do you mean going from a different cleaning method to ultrasonic or between ultrasonic loads?

5. mitch260

mitch260 Well-Known Member

I noticed it when I used the ultra sonic by its self and I cleaned the brass very, very well. Its like it cleans the brass "too much" to where it becomes rough on the inside of the neck. As long as you don't over clean the brass it isn't an issue. Now I only use the ultra sonic for removing the bulk of the build-up and then use corn cob media(I am going to switch to ss soon) to finish the cleaning and polish the brass.