Moly coat and extreme velocity spread?

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, Funny thing happened at the range today. A friend of mine and me were trying out some 40 gr Bergers for our .204s. My friend built all these bullets at the same time with the same equipment parts etc... except he used 27gr of H4895 in his and 26.5gr of the same in mine and he Moly coated his bullets and not mine. The odd thing was that his E.S. was 17fps while mine was 116fps. so we decided that it wouldn't harm are rifles to bad to just shoot a couple of each other's rounds. When we switched he got an E.S of 138fps and when I shot the Moly coats I got an E.S. of 18fps. What the heck? Does moly coat cut down on that much E.S. or what? He has never used a chrony before but always swore by Moly coat that it makes tighter groups for him. What are we seeing here? Other than the Moly coat and the grains of powder everythig else was identical. Your thoughts please. Thank's, Brad

The experiment is not derived from scientific method; so you can't make any conclusions from it.

It reminds me of a guy that said he developed a specific load in his rifle, but when he switched to CCI primers his groups tripled in size. Therefore, CCI primers were trash.

I'm not claiming that Moly coated bullets lessen E.S. just stating what we seen today and asking if others have witnessed any thing like this. Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.