Scopes that will hold up on ultra mags

My .300rum has a little better than 300 rounds through her now and still shoots the lights out with the burris ff2. The ballistic plex recticle has been perfect to 500. No dialing it up n down just range it select the right stadia and send it. At less than 3 bills what a deal. (only if it dosen't break) Check your rings and bases,action screws etc. If that aint it. Let me know if you would how the warranty dept treats ya.
Skip

Luck of the draw...

My Lupy VXIII bit the dust somewhere along the line. I could only maintain groups from 0.75 to 1.5 and expected more from the rifle, but zero usually held well from trip-to-trip. Ocassionally I had some zero shifts, but blamed them on the weather conditions and the loads. I put my Super Sniper 10x on the rifle and had similar, or worse results. Finally, when I pulled the scope off of the rifle I noticed that the internals were rattling around in the scope. Sent it in to Luepold, got it back a few weeks later, but now the rifle is with the smith, so I'll have to wait to see if it holds up. The rifle that the scope was on is a 338 Lapua without a muzzle brake.

Nightforece, baby, Nightforce..........May the force be with you..
thumb.gif

I've had a Leupold 3.5x10 and a 6.5x20 on my 300 Rum for the last 2 years without a problem.

When looking for a scope for the RUM it is a good idea to look at the eye relief on the scopes you're considering, particularely at the higher magnification. A few tenths of an inch can make a BIG difference in that half moon above your eye. :>)

Here is my experience:

Weaver Grand Slam--- for the money, extremely amazing! I have two, a 4.5x14-40 and the 6.?x20-40.
The 4.5x14-40 has been abused with a 300 Winch. Mag., and 2 (two) 300 Ultra Mags, one without muzle break and the other with a muzzle break. Many hundreds of rounds through all these rifles not counting the mild 308 Winch. Two hunting trips outside of nevada, one to colorado and one to Idaho. Some real hard driving and beating the Grand Slam has taken; but not only the zero never changed, its amazingly accurate tracking small turrets are worthy of respect. Using 20 moa bases and burris rings, my youngest son...Read this link. When it comes to a lower priced variable and extremely reliable scope, it has to be very hard to find a better one.

Last edited:
Nightforece, baby, Nightforce..........May the force be with you..
thumb.gif

I agree with jwp475. If price isn't an issue, NF gets the vote. If big game hunting is on the agenda, then I would definately go with NF the reliability is unbeatable.

look at this New Kahles 4.5-18x50 Helia K418 30mm always reliable and super optics if you want to buy a chep one buy the kx whit 4d reticle . kx and cl are the best 1" scope is the worl

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts