Scopes Comparable to SHV 5-20x56 or Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50 under 30 oz?

Shootin4fun

First, I'd like to ask about the difference between these scopes in terms of image quality, i.e. clarity across the range of 5-20 and brightness. Anyone have first hand experience? Looking at them today at 2 locations I could not tell. They're both about 30 oz. I'd like to get it down to 20ish.

Next I'd like to ask if anyone thinks the Sightron III 6-24x50 is on par with these in terms of image quality and tracking.

And to pile on the questions, how about the Athlon Midas BTR 5.5-27x50? Any first hand experience on these 3?

I'm into medium long range paper punching (300 - 600 regularly, 1000 occasionally if I can find it), and hunting (in the mountains with plenty of hiking) out to 500 with a new 6.5 Creedmoor that I just bought. The gun is about 7.2 naked unloaded. Would like to keep it under 9 lbs loaded.

The siii are very good scopes. You don't get all the bells and whistles but they have good glass and track well.
The vx5 might be a good option for a light weight scope. I have a vx3 lrp, I think it's 24oz but not positive. Tracks well and I really like the glass, seems a little sharper than my sightron but very comparable.

I have 4 of the SHVs and I don't think you can beat them in that price range, shot a couple weeks back with some buddies that have the Gen 2 PST and we all came up with same thoughts, The SHV was brighter and easier to focus. Both are Great but NF is hard to beat.

I have 4 of the SHVs and I don't think you can beat them in that price range, shot a couple weeks back with some buddies that have the Gen 2 PST and we all came up with same thoughts, The SHV was brighter and easier to focus. Both are Great but NF is hard to beat.

Thanks for your guys. I keep hearing that the NF SHV has better optics. It's really hard to tell, even looking at them side by side in a store by just holding them unsteadily in daylight indoor conditions, even looking through windows to the outdoors a couple hundred yards away.

I like both of the reticles, but I have to say I prefer the Viper's turrets; bigger, finer hash marks and most of all 25MOA / revolution as opposed to 10 on the SHV. But if the glass were of equal quality, then I'd expect the 56mm to outshine the 50. Dawn and post sundown hunting times are when animals are out so that's important. At the range, not so much. To me, the $200 extra for the SHV doesn't really matter at this point; I just want the best image quality and handiest features.

Jumping the price and weight barrier of both of those, I was looking at a Tango 6 5-30 x 56 with 33mm tube and it was quite impressive in terms of image quality. It blew away a similar power Trijicon for $1600 and beat out the Viper as well. The razor sharp image of the Tango 6 was stunning. Those go for about $2400 though, and weigh 39 oz. Razor HD and NSX price range.

I love the Sightrons. As already stated they are bare minimum as far as features but they track and are repeatable. I would take a look at the Athlon Ares BTR as well. I would say they are on par with the others in the price range as far as features and tracking but on the cheaper side.

I compared the SIII and the Nightforce and I bought the SIII. I love the glass and the resolution on the SIII is great. I need a scope for a 300 RUM and I'll be getting another SIII. The Nightforce is great but to my eyes the SIII is the winner.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.