Scope selection for poor vision

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I guess it was a bad idea to pose this question so, I'll ask that his post be closed to future comments.

I'm 52 and I find myself refocusing the eye piece on my scope as my eyes degrade, personally I think odds are your scope is fine just readjust the ocular lense, follow the directions...for a 3 to 9 power scope at 100yrds I like to use a dot that measures about 1.25 inches set on 9 power you should have a small enough target yet see all the edges of the circle

Granted, I'm a few years younger but I was using the 3-9x40 Leupold scope on my 270 Vanguard today to hit steel targets out to 360 yards with no problems.

I would agree that at least getting your eyes checked is important. If you have cataracts or some other medical issue going on then it won't matter what scope you have, you won't see like you used to. However, if it leads you to a different scope choose clarity over power. A used/nearly new Zeiss Conquest (not Terra) 3-9x40 would probably be far superior to what you're using now, yet be the same power.

If you're only thinking of close shots, too much magnification can be a problem.

I currently have a vortex 3-9x40 on my Weatherby vanguard .270 and this week I went out to the range to get ready for hunting season. I noticed my vision has changed and just to view the 100 yard target, I had to increase the magnification to 9 to get a clear view of the target. I've just begun hunting last year, when I purchased the rifle & scope. My eyesight was fine then & I had the setting on 5...
The problem could be as simple as dirty optics. It's amazing how a thin layer of dust will degrade the contrast of a scope.

Richard,
About a 1 1/2 years ago I noticed that my sight was going to pot and nothing i could do with the Scope I had, a 4-16X x 50 changed it. Everything blurred out even at 100 yds. Fortunately for me, I carry a more than 30% disability with the VA and in spite of all of the bad publicity, I have been treated like gold from the VA. They checked my eyes and told me I was developing cataracts and that eventually they would get "ripe" and they would remove them. (Kind of sounded to me like they were harvesting grapes): :D

Anyway, since then I have had 3 pair of glasses and none of them cleared up the problem and everything remained blurred. There are some organizations out there that collect glasses from people who's prescription has changed and re-distribute them almost free of charge. My second set was from a strictly local organization, and they cost me $5.00. (The VA will check your eyes for free and operate, BUT
not furnish your glasses, at least they wouldn't for me.)

You need to look around wherever you are located for one of these organizations, but first have your eyes checked so you know what prescription you need and hope someone has donated what you need. If not locally and some are statewide they do refer people to other organizations doing the same thing. Hopefully you aren't developing cataracts so that glasses will help, but if not and you are developing cataracts, plan on everything getting progressively blurrier as time goes by. I went from a consistent 1 MOA at 400 - 600 yards to about 3-4 MOA and finally just stopped shooting when my 12 year old granddaughter outshot me at a hundred yards. Fortunately the operation(s) are supposed to occur within the next 2 months so maybe My problem will be cured.

Anyway, these organizations are out there so research them and track them down and good luck on the hunt.

Bruce

Richard,
About a 1 1/2 years ago I noticed that my sight was going to pot and nothing i could do with the Scope I had, a 4-16X x 50 changed it. Everything blurred out even at 100 yds. Fortunately for me, I carry a more than 30% disability with the VA and in spite of all of the bad publicity, I have been treated like gold from the VA. They checked my eyes and told me I was developing cataracts and that eventually they would get "ripe" and they would remove them. (Kind of sounded to me like they were harvesting grapes): :D

Anyway, since then I have had 3 pair of glasses and none of them cleared up the problem and everything remained blurred. There are some organizations out there that collect glasses from people who's prescription has changed and re-distribute them almost free of charge. My second set was from a strictly local organization, and they cost me $5.00. (The VA will check your eyes for free and operate, BUT
not furnish your glasses, at least they wouldn't for me.)

You need to look around wherever you are located for one of these organizations, but first have your eyes checked so you know what prescription you need and hope someone has donated what you need. If not locally and some are statewide they do refer people to other organizations doing the same thing. Hopefully you aren't developing cataracts so that glasses will help, but if not and you are developing cataracts, plan on everything getting progressively blurrier as time goes by. I went from a consistent 1 MOA at 400 - 600 yards to about 3-4 MOA and finally just stopped shooting when my 12 year old granddaughter outshot me at a hundred yards. Fortunately the operation(s) are supposed to occur within the next 2 months so maybe My problem will be cured.

Anyway, these organizations are out there so research them and track them down and good luck on the hunt.

Bruce

I had cataract operatios on right eye first.. Had them knock me out. Second one 2 years later and did it "bare handed"....:) so the only glasses I now wear ate polorized sun glasses.

Once my scopes are adjusted no further twealing is required. If you have cataracts...get the operation(s)

I haven't read the whole thread, so perhaps someone else has mentioned this, but most scopes have an eyepiece that you can adjust to your vision. I wear glasses, but when I shoot... I take them off. My scope has enough adjustment to give me a crystal clear view without the aid of my glasses. Most scopes have a fairly incredible adjustment range. Check the eye piece of your scope... Twist it left and right without your glasses on and see if you can get clear focus using this method. If you prefer to wear your glasses... Same thing. Look through your scope and adjust the eye piece until you get a clear view.

Don't have to buy a new pair of glasses for that. Same applies to binocs. A good set of peepers helps to see deer, but so does a decent pair of binoculars.

-James

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.