Scope Recommendation

The yellow tint is there for a reason. A human eye see's only so much on a nanometer scale. The Yellow tint will enhance some of the light spectrum that is not seen by the human eye. It will also reduce the amount of movement your zero will see during the course of a day due to the way the light is being bent from the sun's position in the sky.
As far as March or Khales having better glass that's an opinion. If they were actually better, they would be able to charge over 7k like S&B does for it's best

The yellow tint is there for a reason. A human eye see's only so much on a nanometer scale. The Yellow tint will enhance some of the light spectrum that is not seen by the human eye. It will also reduce the amount of movement your zero will see during the course of a day due to the way the light is being bent from the sun's position in the sky.
As far as March or Khales having better glass that's an opinion. If they were actually better, they would be able to charge over 7k like S&B does for it's best
Hypothetically there's a Lamborghini that is only worth $100,000, that a dealer has marked up to $200,000 because that's what they think it's worth on the consumer market. I might offer them the $100,000 actual value, but they refuse my offer because they say it's worth the $200K asking price. But the very next day some rich dude comes walking in, who has unlimited money to burn, and has a Lamborghini collection, and needs THAT exact year and model car to fill an empty spot in his garage. He instantly decides he just can't leave without that car, and pays them their $200,000 price tag without question. The car is only actually worth $100,000, but to him it was worth every penny of the $200,000 he paid because he "needed" it for his collection.

Value is in the eye of the beholder...Quite literally, in the case of optics.

My point is, S&B can claim and charge whatever they want for their products, and will tell you it's the best because they want to sell them. But until I see one that allows me to look into wormholes in outer space, or see the future, I'm not paying $7,000 for a rifle scope. If you have that kind of money, and choose to buy one, no judgement here, and more power to you, but just because they say it's worth $7,000 doesn't mean it is, and just because another company sells a scope for $3,500, doesn't mean it's not actually just as good as that $7,000 scope.

Mud if the others were good enough to charge double what they do they would. When you offer just over half the elevation you need to use other methods to reachdistance which compromises shorter distances. The compromise is that the reticle is not close to center of the lens This will show up in fluid tactical situations of which the designed purpose of S&B's premium priced optics are for. The others are great glass not just good. However in a free market system if they were better they would make sure they charged you for it.
You don't like them and that's fine and your opinion. I've been shooting a S&B of one flavor or another for more than 20 years. My nearly 10yr old glass was noticeably better today than one of the brands you mentioned on the same power. The shop I just started at recently has March, Khales, Ziess Hendsolt, Nightforce and a Mrk 8 all on leo rifles in 308. Comparing them during the day will not do much running box tests and tall target elevation tests shouldn't distingush much either. Eye & resolution charts in fading light will show differences much faster than the costs would indicate.
For some close enough doesn't get it done

Mud if the others were good enough to charge double what they do they would. When you offer just over half the elevation you need to use other methods to reachdistance which compromises shorter distances. The compromise is that the reticle is not close to center of the lens This will show up in fluid tactical situations of which the designed purpose of S&B's premium priced optics are for. The others are great glass not just good. However in a free market system if they were better they would make sure they charged you for it.
You don't like them and that's fine and your opinion. I've been shooting a S&B of one flavor or another for more than 20 years. My nearly 10yr old glass was noticeably better today than one of the brands you mentioned on the same power. The shop I just started at recently has March, Khales, Ziess Hendsolt, Nightforce and a Mrk 8 all on leo rifles in 308. Comparing them during the day will not do much running box tests and tall target elevation tests shouldn't distingush much either. Eye & resolution charts in fading light will show differences much faster than the costs would indicate.
For some close enough doesn't get it done
And I respect your opinions on this subject as well. Free-market capitalism is a great thing.

You're 100% right that in most "normal" conditions your average person will most-likely not be able to notice the difference in what that scope can offer, over another top-tier competitor. I'm not sure how things are in other states or Europe, but in Alabama, we have "safe light" laws, where you actually can get in trouble for shooting before the Game Warden feels that it's bright enough to 100% identify your target, or if it's too dark in the evening to properly identify your intended target. I have noticed many scopes over the years have allowed me to see, even by the starlight at close enough distances. My Kahles Helia KX 3-10x50 is the best one I've had so far, allowing me to see the latest, unfortunately, by the time the scope's advantages show, it's LONG past "safe light" to shoot.

I'm FAR from a professional shooter, and I'm definitely nobody special, but what it's going to take to prove to me that their optics are worth the money would be some serious hands-on time shooting through one... I would normally buy something like that myself and test it and then give my honest review of it, but the last few years have been super crappy with work, so money is pretty much non-existent outside of paying bills. But I tell you what, if S&B (or any other company) wants to send me one of their scopes, I'd be more than happy to really spend some time thoroughly testing the scope in all light and weather and hunting conditions and distances (it's always some kind of hunting season in Alabama :cool:). I'd be more than happy to give an honest and unbiased review of it. It's been so long since I've shot through an S&B (16+ years), that I'd honestly love to have a Second Focal Plane version of this scope https://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-bender-pmii-5-25x56-l-p-p4-fine-mrad-mtc-ccw.aspx to keep on-hand to test side-by-side with some of my Zeiss and Kahles and Vortex optics. But money's too tight right now for me to buy one. Hell, I'm probably fixing to have to sell my bass boat just to make ends meet.

I've reviewed lots of products by competitor companies to products I was previously using, and had my mind completely blown, and my whole opinion was changed. One thing about me is that I'm not really ego-driven, so I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, or when something has changed my mind or my outlook on something.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts