Scope Quick Mounts & Scope Height

bondc007

I'm a newbie to big game hunting. I bought the Axis XP II chambered in .243. I liked the rifle and so bought the same model 30:06 and 22-250. I found the rifles to be pretty consistent but it's time to upgrade the scopes so that I'll have more confidence in longer range shots. As such, I've invested in Sig's BDX scope and rangefinder combo. My desire is to use this combo across all three calibers. I bought picatinny rails for all three guns and a Burris PEPR quick connect scope mount. My concern is that when I shoulder the rifle the scope is so high that I'm nowhere near my cheek weld. It's closer to my chin - maybe 1-1/2" high. Has anybody else overcome this issue? Will a stock riser make up that much height?

The Burris PEPR is designed for an AR15 platform, installing a cheek piece could get you up high enough to get a decent cheek weld. In my humble opinion, a good set of quick detachable rings would be a much better option. The .375 H&H in my avatar carries a Leupold quick detach mount, it allowed me to remove the scope quickly for iron sight use and I was also able to carry a spare scope already sighted in in case I had a problem with the primary.

I have done what you are doing due to lack of available supplies over the last years. Scope rings I needed out of stock. Had to use what was on hand if I wanted to shoot. Availability not budget during the great lockdown. It wasn't ideal but got a rifle up and tinkering. Stock riser that high is tough but can be done. You can start with the old military trick foam pipe insulation and duct tape to get shooting.

I prefer regular bolt on Burris signature Z rings with the inserts. One set won't break the bank. If you use a torque wrench or just be careful tightening them on to the picatinny bases they are very repeatable zero switching them around. Mark or memorize your slots on the rails so you switch to the same spot on the different rifles. Matching set of rifles simplifies things greatly.
At one point during Covid, I even used some UTG quick detach rings to get some long range 22 rifles out on the range. Only rings I could get my hands on. It worked surprisingly well.

Everybody has to start somewhere. It is a rabbit hole. Good luck!

I get that you plan to move 1 scope between 3 guns. You do understand you will have to re-zero for each caliber every time you move it and have three different programs for your rangefinder scope combo?

I do what you are thinking about with 3 different competition guns and I do it with a Spuhr mount that is 1.18" tall. As was pointed out by skipglo, it does require re-zeroing when installed on each gun. Normally this is very simple and only requires a few rounds.

The Burris PEPR is designed for an AR15 platform, installing a cheek piece could get you up high enough to get a decent cheek weld. In my humble opinion, a good set of quick detachable rings would be a much better option. The .375 H&H in my avatar carries a Leupold quick detach mount, it allowed me to remove the scope quickly for iron sight use and I was also able to carry a spare scope already sighted in in case I had a problem with the primary.
Thanks for the reply. I found that the Leupold QRW2 "Low" mounts are only 0.82" high. These instead of the Burris will reduce my overall scope height by almost a full inch. I think that's a good solution. I see no cheek riser on your rifle, so I'm assuming you were satisfied with your cheek weld.

Thanks for the reply. I found that the Leupold QRW2 "Low" mounts are only 0.82" high. These instead of the Burris will reduce my overall scope height by almost a full inch. I think that's a good solution. I see no cheek riser on your rifle, so I'm assuming you were satisfied with your cheek weld.
Very much so, the rifle was stocked for scope use but I have another Mauser with a similar mounting system on it and I can shoot it just fine with quite a bit of drop at the comb.

Very much so, the rifle was stocked for scope use but I have another Mauser with a similar mounting system on it and I can shoot it just fine with quite a bit of drop at the comb.
Sorry to keep pestering you. When you say "drop at the comb" are you saying that you are not getting a cheek weld at the comb?

Sorry to keep pestering you. When you say "drop at the comb" are you saying that you are not getting a cheek weld at the comb?
No worries! Basically a stock with a lot of drop at the comb raises the centerline of the bore in relation relation to the stock, this is commonly seen in rifles that were stocked for iron sight use. Most modern rifles are stocked for scope use and most of the ones that do have irons have raised them to better match the stock dimensions.