Scope Mounting Height

Mark37082

I've always tried to mount my scopes as low as possible without touching the barrel. I shoot for trying to keep them approximately 1/16th off the barrel. Well this was a problem on latest mount. I went with a Nightforce zero MOA one piece pic rail and the Leupold low PRW2 rings. I am currently running approximately .475" off the barrel. The rail itself is considerably closer to the bell of the scope. I'll include pic so you see my issue. Not sure if there is solution using the NF rail. Should I just keep it the way it is or go for a new mount? I did have to adjust the zero lock considerably when sighting it in.

Attachments

• C3994B54-FE85-48EB-A13E-C0A9F18032AA.jpeg
    C3994B54-FE85-48EB-A13E-C0A9F18032AA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 241
In hindsight, I would have gone with a 20MOA rail just because it is free elevation travel for your scope, and I typically do this by default on all my bolt guns. There is not any problem with how you mounted it, and as you mentioned, any lower and the rail will start contacting the bell. As long as you can get comfortably behind it and create a consistent and repeatable cheek weld to assist in preventing a parallax issue, you are fine.

Honestly, I think 1/16th of an inch is too close because I like a little elevation for heat mirage and to be able to mount aftermarket lens caps. I typically mount mine at about .2-.25" but that is more how they ended up as opposed to any kind of goal I had set. Just one man's opinion.

I appreciate the input. With the adjustable stock cheek plate I can easily adjust for a good cheek weld. I thought about the 20 moa rail, but I have adequate dialing in the scope for my shooting I believe. Given having to dial it down significantly to zero it at 100, I would think that may actually give me more elevation adjustment. I am not sure if they make lower rings.

How tall is your rail? When I scoped my new X-bolt a few weeks ago, Murphy Precision's rail was the shortest I found. They are also excellent quality and have great customer service. The owner might would customize one with a sloped front for you.

Those PRW2 rings are 0.840" according to Leupold. Seekins lows will get you a bit lower at 0.820".

If you shoulder the rifle with your eyes closed, and then open them where is the scope? High, low, or right on relative to your eye.

In the old days as low as we could get it was always the plan. However, that was with stocks mostly designed for iron sights and we were unknowingly trying to get the scope in the same sight line. With stocks designed for scopes, as low as possible isn't a good blanket method. The scope wants to be centered on your eye with a natural check-weld. Depending on you, the stock, and your preferred shooting stance (standing, sitting, prone, etc.) as low as possible may be ideal and it could easily be far from ideal.

I guess I'm just going to run it the way it is. I adjusted the cheek plate to center my eye. After looking at the drawer full of rings and bases, I just told myself to stop. I'll put the dollars I don't spend on more rings and bases toward a suppressor I want.

I use Leupold 2 Piece bases, Dual Dove Tail when I can get them for the action , and I start with Low Rings. On the Weatherby Mark V, and also the Weath. Mark V ULTRA LIGHT, small Action, I do not need to add anything to the stock cheek aera to lift may face or eye. Shown is a VX 3 4.5 to 14X with a 30mm Tube , on my Mark V 270 Weatherby Mag . and also the small action Mark V Ultra-light , also with a VX 3 4.5 to 14 X scope with a one-inch tube , i think. Leupold does not make DD bases for this smaller Mark V action. No Problems, no issues , no complaints .

Attachments

• IMG_2476 (1)270 Weath mag Leupoold  4.5 to 14 X  Pic 1.jpg
    IMG_2476 (1)270 Weath mag Leupoold 4.5 to 14 X Pic 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2720 Weatherby Ultalight with new leupold  Scope  2020.JPG
    IMG_2720 Weatherby Ultalight with new leupold Scope 2020.JPG
    915.1 KB · Views: 79