scope mount screw broken off, whats the damage?

Rifleman513

Just picked up a Weatherby vanguard varmint, only thing is once I took the old mounts off I noticed the screw closest to the barrel was broken off. It looks like the previous owner already tried to drill a hole to get it out. Im planning on taking it to a smith to have them just drill it out and re tap all the holes. Anyone have any insight as to how much it would cost to do this? Any help appreciated. thanks

Here's a note - you will probably see the barrel threads through that hole. It is the one hole that does NOT go all the way through - it does have a bottom!

I'm not saying there's not a screw in there but realize it's supposed to be different than the other 3.

The screw is broke nearly flush, just barely under the surface. That was my concern since it was the front hole and most Ive ever seen you can't see clear through due to the barrel if that would make it more of a problem. I know on my 700 it takes a shorter bolt up front than the rear mounts, so I'm assuming maybe the bolt bottomed out and stripped, since the others came out easy and they didn't seem like they had been over torqued.

The screw is broke nearly flush, just barely under the surface. That was my concern since it was the front hole and most Ive ever seen you can't see clear through due to the barrel if that would make it more of a problem. I know on my 700 it takes a shorter bolt up front than the rear mounts, so I'm assuming maybe the bolt bottomed out and stripped, since the others came out easy and they didn't seem like they had been over torqued.

Sometimes you can buy a left spiral drill and it will back the screw out unless it is realy bad.

The other option is to unscrew the barrel and screw the broken screw on through. this will sometimes save the threads.

Good luck !

J E CUSTOM

I don't have any left handed bits only some ez outs and Ive never had good luck with those on really small stuff anyway. It's not sheered off flat and since its slightly below the opening don't have a way to flatten it out to get a good start with a bit either. My concern is that if that bolt did bottom out, likely hitting the barrel, if the threads on the barrel or anything else may be damaged? I was just mainly concerned with what the cost to have a smith fix this is going to be seeing as they will likely have to take the barrel off and probably just have them drill and retap all the other holes as well. Definitely appreciate all the tips though. Thanks!

Just a note;

Leupold makes a picatinny mount that has both 6-32s and 8-32 screws for whatever size
you want to use and they are all the same length. (No confusion as to which screws go
where).if you have to get them drilled out and re threaded.

The rail is drilled to match the length for the action. (Neat).

J E CUSTOM

Well I called a smith this morning and was actually able to stop by this afternoon and 45 minutes later she was good to go. Apparently there was also an ez out broke off in the hole as well. It wasnt what him or I wanted to see, but he did manage to get it out without having to retap the threads. And for only $25, cant beat that. Now if only the wind will cooperate this weekend maybe I can get some rounds through it!

So after getting that screw out made it out to take a few shots today to get the scope dialed in. Shot 50gr Hornady Varmint express moly. Cant really complain so far and I dont think the coyotes will either!

Attachments

• IMG-20120531-00342.jpg
    IMG-20120531-00342.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 136
Rifleman513, your 'smith works cheap. $25 for 45 minutes!? I've got more than enough work now, if I could/would work for that I'd never see the light of day! deerhunter 13, you're gonna' have to explain to me what "pheasant tail rings" are. I've never had problems with Leupold Dual Dovetails, that were properly reamed, securing a scope to an UM.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.