broken screw in remington 7

cr30378

I broke a screw off putting bases on a new rem model 7. my question is, its the last screw and I didn't know if it was drilled and tapped all the way through or not. What size is the screw hole?

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 119
Not sure of the size, but I am sure it is tapped all the way through. The barrel has been screwed into the action, and it is blocking the hole in a way that you can't screw the screw too deep into it. You probably have to use a shorter screw.

Be very careful with this screw, it can bottom on the barrel tenon and if you drill it you can drill into the chamber.

The best way to fix it is to have a Gunsmith remove the barrel from the receiver, and drill it on through and out the inside of the receiver. then he can chase it with a tap.

This can happen if the wrong screw in the set is used or tightening without the use of a torque wrench.

After it is removed I recommend going to the next larger size screw so the holes are cleaned up.

J E CUSTOM

Yep, had the same thing on a Browning X bolt using Talley rings, I over torqued that front screw and wound up taking the rifle to a gunsmith.
Good advice from J E Custom!

To prevent this from happening in the future, When I install a base, I try one screw at a time (Hand tight)to see if it tightens the base. Then I loosen it and try another in a different location to see if it tightens the base also. Repeat this process on all 4 screws and if everything works including the bolt., (sometimes the screw is long and goes through the action interfering with the bolt operation)
then use a torque wench and torque to base specifications.

If you don't have/know what the torque is refer to this.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/torque-recomendations-29756/

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

I know, i have mounted probably 50 to 60 scopes in my time.it wasnt a case of screw too long but a case of over touque plus using so called leupold bases that i think had aftermarket screws.I know now why they were so cheap.Lesson learned here and thanks for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts