Remington 700 stripped screw repair(help)

harleybug

I have a stripped screw in my rem 700 it's the smaller screw on the trigger guard that goes threw the guard and stock into the receiver. I'm trying to get some advice of what's the best way to fix it. Should I helicoil it or try to chase it with a tap. There's not a lot of steal around the threaded hole so I don't think overdosing it is the best idea. Any advice is appreciAted.

I have a stripped screw in my rem 700 it's the smaller screw on the trigger guard that goes threw the guard and stock into the receiver. I'm trying to get some advice of what's the best way to fix it. Should I helicoil it or try to chase it with a tap. There's not a lot of steal around the threaded hole so I don't think overdosing it is the best idea. Any advice is appreciAted.

I have found few screws that I have not been able to remove with a Grabit screw remover. They are offered in small sized kits that work well on guard scews. The other option is to carefully drill or Dremel straight down the center of the screw so the head falls off. Pull the trigger quard off and grab the screw shaft with a vice grip and remove it.

The internal threads are stripped,the bolt I can get out I just can't get it to thread back in when I assemble the rifle.

You have to overdrill by quite a bit to stick a helicoil in, which then allows you to use the original sized screw. I think it would be better to just increase the hole diameter just a bit and rethread at a larger size - should be able to find a filister head screw in the proper size to replace the action screw.

Are you talking about the small screw on the front of the ADL trigger guard, if so, you might be able to just run a tap back in and straighten the treads out. You should not have a lot of pressure on that screw anyway. You only want enough pressure to hold it in place and not have it fall out (3-4 Inch Pounds) You may be able to put a little Lock-tite on the screw and hold it once you have it back in place.

"I have a stripped screw in my rem 700 it's the smaller screw on the trigger guard that goes threw the guard and stock into the receiver."

Whenever I do a custom using the ADL platform, I make a small insert of aluminum with about a 10-32 threads and epoxy it to the stock. I use a very short 3/8" screw to attach the TG and it does not attach to the action that way.

I wasn't sure if it had to have that screw. I didn't think so so I'll just put something in just the stock to screw to

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts