Scope based screw stripped

Kiowa Cowboy

I recently purchased a Rem 700 in 308. The forwardmost scope base screw is stripped. I asked the previous owner about it. He said the other three screws will hold the base just fine. He is probably right. However, I was thinking that a simple fix might be to fill the hole with a dab of Marine Tex and install the screw with a release agent on the screw only.

Is this a bad idea? Has anybody tried something like this before?

TIA.

Brownells sells a kit with oversized 6-48 screw and a tap for problems just like yours. You won't have to drill the base like you would with an 8-40 screw. Ive used them many times in my Rifle shop over the years. When the clients doesn't use a torque wrench. Make sure the new screw doesn't bottom out out on the barrel threads.
Richard Hilts

Brownells sells a kit with oversized 6-48 screw and a tap for problems just like yours. You won't have to drill the base like you would with an 8-40 screw. Ive used them many times in my Rifle shop over the years. When the clients doesn't use a torque wrench. Make sure the new screw doesn't bottom out out on the barrel threads.
Richard Hilts
Thank you! Really appreciate your help

Just so you realize, the barrel will have to be removed to re-tap the hole....if you want the job done correctly.
Yep, you can see the barrel tenon @the bottom of that front mounting hole. It's unlikely you'll get a tap in far enough to get enough purchase on the oversized screw. You're likely to just strip it again.

I'd have the whole works opened to 8x40 like was suggested above.

Is the screw stripped? Or the threaded hole on the receiver? I'm surprised the steel rifle would be stripped by a soft screw intended to be stripped before the gun is!
99% of the time I have been asked to "fix" this issue, I've asked the owner if they installed the scope using a torque wrench. Guess what they said. NO. Bad mistake. They don't realize just how little it takes to strip out 6/48 screws or holes.

Note to all scope installers out there-whoever you are: invest in a torque wrench. There not expensive. Pay attention to max torque settings from the base, scope, and ring maker. Problem solved.

Take the screw you have and see if it's got threads in it below the couple of threads had this happen in the past we had to go to about a three thread longer screw had to make it ourselves with a longer screw and trim it down and it fit in good did not hit the bolt fix the problem

99% of the time I have been asked to "fix" this issue, I've asked the owner if they installed the scope using a torque wrench. Guess what they said. NO. Bad mistake. They don't realize just how little it takes to strip out 6/48 screws or holes.

Note to all scope installers out there-whoever you are: invest in a torque wrench. There not expensive. Pay attention to max torque settings from the base, scope, and ring maker. Problem solved.
I've had the heads round out while trying to remove them.