Broken off case

If you havent already got it, or just for if it happens again......Use a brass or steel wire bore brush small enough to fit into the back of the broken shell, but large enough so that the bristles expand when you try to withdraw the brush. In many cases, a .45 cal. brush works well. Put the brush on your*cleaning*rod, remove the bolt of the rifle, and push the brush into the chamber. Pull back and the shell should come out. If the rifle is a semi-auto, try using just the brush, and grasp the end of it at a right angle with a small pair of locking jaw*pliers.

Going through the muzzle will do nothing. No way your going to pull it through the barrel by the neck.

WisconSniper has it right.

If the 45 brush doesn't get it I would use a 20 gauge brush if it was really stuck.

In the future try just neck sizing rather than bumping your shoulder so far. Cases will usually split the necks when they are done rather than separate. That is a headspace issue from sizing too far.

I have not tried just neck sizing but that's a good idea. The cases look good but must be weak. How many loads are any of you getting on your brass?u

I get about 10 on belted mags but 15-20 is not uncommon. When I run them really hard they must last at least 5 or I adjust the load till thy will. Non belted cases at least 20. Lapua brass 6.5x284 and 338 Lapua last indefinitely. Handgun brass like 9mm, 40, 45, 10mm last till I can't find them anymore. 357 and 44 mag about 10 or more till they split.

Thats pretty interesting, I have never heard of getting that many loads out of your brass, are you just neck sizing? I really hate throwing all of my brass away but really dont like cases cut in half either.

Ceder

Going through the muzzle will do nothing. No way your going to pull it through the barrel by the neck.

WisconSniper has it right.

If the 45 brush doesn't get it I would use a 20 gauge brush if it was really stuck.

In the future try just neck sizing rather than bumping your shoulder so far. Cases will usually split the necks when they are done rather than separate. That is a headspace issue from sizing too far.

uh, you PUSH the brass backward out the breech end.

Poor a chamber cast using cerrosafe let it cool and harden then put a cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle end and knock it out Ive never had it fail just did it today in with a 6mm rem shot out of a 270 chamber

The culprit here is from the FL die being set up improperly and causing excessive shoulder bumping. When you set the shoulder back to far and fire the case it stretches the brass and thins the case down near the web because of brass flowing up the wall towards the shoulder. Every reloader should own a set of Hornaday Headspace tools. Instuctions come with the tools and I'm sure you can do a search and read up on it. You can also check the brass you have with a paperclip. Straighten a clip out and turn a small 90 degree on one end, stick it in the mouth of the case and push it down to the head of the case. Turn the 90 degree part against the wall at the head and drag it towards the mouth of the case, if the wall is thinning you will feel it where it is starting to get thick again. That is where you will have a headcase separation. Go all the way around the case (360 degrees). If you feel this do not reload that case, toss it. The ones that show no signs of this can be reloaded. I have shot many a .300 RUM using Remington brass without 1 headcase separation. If you find any that are bad use them to set your die then throw them away.

Thanks for the info, I used the paper clip test last night and found two that felt different right where they break. Also trying to get some 208 Amax's to shoot and could see a line on one of them. These brass probably have four to five loads on them. There has been some great info from everyone and I thank you all.
Ceder

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.