Scope mount and rings question

prosthogod

I'm putting my hunting rifle back together with a new scope, Swarovski Z6I 5-30X50. I have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 300 win mag. I've been reading alot about the best mount/rings for the job. Opinions are all over the board. Long Range shooters opinions seem different than hunters. This is a hunting rifle.
So here it is. I am willing to pay the cost of high end if needed. What are your thoughts?

I would go with a 20MOA base as well, but all of my rifles, both long range target and hunting, wear alloy bases. Either Seekins or Badger Ordinance. I also go with alloy rings, usually Seekins, but a few wear Badger Ordinance. It saves about 4-10 oz. depending on ring size, height, and number of screws. Not a lot, but every bit adds up quickly.

It also makes is easy to swap scopes from rifle to rifle if needed. Like if a scope goes down on a hunt, or if you have scope ADD like I do, and just want to swap around scopes. You still need to fine tune your zero, but it gets you close if all of your bases and rings match closely with each other.

You have a decent rifle, and a good scope. Don't skimp on the pieces that tie them together.

I would go with a 20MOA base as well, but all of my rifles, both long range target and hunting, wear alloy bases. Either Seekins or Badger Ordinance. I also go with alloy rings, usually Seekins, but a few wear Badger Ordinance. It saves about 4-10 oz. depending on ring size, height, and number of screws. Not a lot, but every bit adds up quickly.

It also makes is easy to swap scopes from rifle to rifle if needed. Like if a scope goes down on a hunt, or if you have scope ADD like I do, and just want to swap around scopes. You still need to fine tune your zero, but it gets you close if all of your bases and rings match closely with each other.

You have a decent rifle, and a good scope. Don't skimp on the pieces that tie them together.

I was looking at Badger O. Very good reviews. Glad to see them on a hunting rifle. Thanks.

Front rifle: Seekins 20 MOA Picatinny w. Badger "High Max-50" (1") 34mm rings. S&B PMII 3-20x50 on a 7 Rem Mag with Bartlein #3 fluted barrel

Rear rifle: Badger 20 MOA Picatinny w. Seekins "Low" (.92") 34mm rings. S&B PMII 5-25x56 on a .260 Rem with Bartlein #3 barrel.

I'm putting my hunting rifle back together with a new scope, Swarovski Z6I 5-30X50. I have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 300 win mag. I've been reading alot about the best mount/rings for the job. Opinions are all over the board. Long Range shooters opinions seem different than hunters. This is a hunting rifle.
So here it is. I am willing to pay the cost of high end if needed. What are your thoughts?

I run the same setups on my hunting, LR, and target rigs...

EGW HD 20MOA base & Seekins Precision Low rings (30mm or 1").

Just for the record, I run EGW 20 Moa and Weaver 20 Moa bases on several rifles.
I like Vortex viper and Burris rings. Very good products....
Bit on two rifles that a hunt with, I use a Leupold 20 Moa steel base with 8-40 screws on my 338, and a Nightforce steel base and rings on my 30-06. I ding up alluminum rings when they are bouncing around in my truck and gator. Although it doesn't hurt function, they start looking bad after a while. So does the scope for that matter.

Just for the record, I run EGW 20 Moa and Weaver 20 Moa bases on several rifles.
I like Vortex viper and Burris rings. Very good products....
Bit on two rifles that a hunt with, I use a Leupold 20 Moa steel base with 8-40 screws on my 338, and a Nightforce steel base and rings on my 30-06. I ding up alluminum rings when they are bouncing around in my truck and gator. Although it doesn't hurt function, they start looking bad after a while. So does the scope for that matter.

The Vortex Viper rings ($130) are built by Seekins (the rings I use), they just have the Vortex logo on them. :cool:

I absolutely recommend Seekins rings . They work great and don't have a nut hanging off the side . I have a few other rings with the nut , and they always seem to hang up on something. Quality rings from most manufacturers will serve you well, but I like Seekins for the seamless profile.

I use Badger and Nightforce rails , but I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand base .

I guess I have to jump on board here with many others. A good quality 20 MOA Pic Rail, & Seekins (or Vortex branded Seekins) Rings. I really like the design of Seekins Rings, as they are very secure by design, the way the fit a good rail, & they don't have the large nut hanging out off the side. I guess that's just personal preference. Idaho-5R

I absolutely recommend Seekins rings . They work great and don't have a nut hanging off the side . I have a few other rings with the nut , and they always seem to hang up on something. Quality rings from most manufacturers will serve you well, but I like Seekins for the seamless profile.

I use Badger and Nightforce rails , but I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand base .

I used TPS TSR aluminum rings for years, then I discovered the Seekins Precision rings around 2014, and like you stated, discovered how strong and seamless they are. I have used nothing but Seekins since. I still have a few rifles with TPS TSR rings, and they're awesome rings. They used to be a really inexpensive high-quality product (around $70/set), but now they're almost doubled in price, and cost as much as the Seekins rings. So I'll just keep buying the Seekins, I like them better anyway. Like you said, they don't have that nut sticking out of the side to get caught on stuff, like your hunting clothing while you're trying to get lined-up on a deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.