Scope mount and rings question

morning, warne steel rings and bases. I use the quick release rings.

can use rings and scope on different weapons. just a thought.

thk. u lightbulb:)gun)

Thanks for all the input. I use quick disconnects on my ARs. I won't on this rifle. It looks like the concensus is 20MOA base with Seekins rings. My last question would be, are you lapping these rings. I've talked to a couple companies (nomad), who don't recomend lapping.
What's the consensus on lapping?

Never lapped a set of precision machined and matched rings. Leupolds...Yep, several sets. But not machined rings.

The TPS TSR and Seekins Precision rings are what are called a "matched set". Which means they're machined at the same time on the same machine to the same tolerances, so as long as you buy a high-quality base (that's straight) and your mounting holes are straight, you shouldn't need to lap them. I've tested this by mounting just the empty rings up together on a base (and also on my Badger Dead-Level) and mic'd them with the calipers and found no reason to lap any of them.

Just my experience.

You asked "for a hunting rig". While I have several rifles with the picatinny rail and ring setups I also have plain rings and bases on many hunting rigs (talley one pc alum/ Leupold DDs etc).

I read the entire thread and no one mentioned some variables to consider.

IMO the cheek weld/ stock design/eye relief decides which mounting system to use. With a large front objective on the scope, setting it on a picatinny rail could place it too high to have a natural cheek weld without an add on tactical type stock pack or adjustable cheek piece on the stock. On the other hand the rail system allows for variable front to rear placement for proper eye relief, something that fixed bases and rings often limit. Just thought I'd mention these factors as no one else has.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.