Scope is blurry

BC 300 why

Alright guys I need some advice. I recently purchased a used nxs 5.5x22x56 and mounted it on a brand new ruger precision rifle 6.5 creedmore. Today I took it out for the first time. After sighting in at 100 yds, I put first three in same hole. After that it started going to **** but not enough that I thought scope was moving. I just figured it may be fatigue since I was still shooting 1 moa at 100 yds. Let me mention I was doing a barrel break in procedure after each round or so... so barrel was not dirty and I was breaking for a few minutes between each shot. The wind was blowing about 10 mph at my back. I moved target back to 300 yards and fired 4 rounds. Results were about a four inch group which I am not pleased with at all coming from this scope and gun. So first question I have, at both 100 yards and 300 yards the target was slightly blurred. At 300 yards I was not able to even see the red 1" bullseye. I had the eye relief set appropriately and parallax adjusted the best scope would allow me. I turned down magnification to about 16x, which made it slightly clearer but still not good. This is my first nightforce and expected much better. Do y'all think something could be wrong with glass?

Secondly, when I got home i started closely inspecting everything and I believe the scope may have slightly moved back due to recoil. I can see very light marks on scope tube at bottom which I do not remember seeing when I purchased the used scope. I did lap the rings prior to mounting and tightened to nightforce recommended specs of 25 pounds using loctite. Should I tighten more?

When in doubt, send it back to the manufacturer. Or, you will always be questioning yourself. Also, do not increase torque value since it could damage the scope tube. Don't know the make of rings your using, but use quality rings only. The scope should not have slipped with the recoil produced by the 6.5.

I shoot with a few Nightforce scopes, and not that I know anything, but the guy that I have order them for me, will always recommend a titanium ring setup for Nightforce scopes. I have never asked why, I just trust that the quality is there and you get what you pay for.
As for the clarity issue, just send it to Nightforce, if you can't focus it for your eye, they are great IMO for warranty issues.

I still have much space to tighten so that is not the issue. I felt lapping was absolutely necessary since I had only 20% contact with scope. Thanks for all advice and any more is greatly appreciated. It looks like I will be sending scope back to NF. Anyone know how long turnaround usually is with NF?

Did you set the diopter? additionally if you move the diopeter a little the parallax and numbers on the side will not lone up. 10 MPH cross wind can move you bullet quite a bit at 300.

Next time set the rings on the rail semi loose and set the scope in the rings and get them snug before tightening the rings. 100% of the time with out fail if the scope and good rings don't line up it means your rail or action are off.

I still have much space to tighten so that is not the issue. I felt lapping was absolutely necessary since I had only 20% contact with scope. Thanks for all advice and any more is greatly appreciated. It looks like I will be sending scope back to NF. Anyone know how long turnaround usually is with NF?
Turn around is typically pretty fast

i just read this and kinda forgot about it for setting up scopes - set parallax to infinity, scope magnification to max, turn the focus all the way in. looking at blue sky or a white wall, start turning focus out until reticle is clear. lock the focus and go from there. but if something changed for you, perhaps scope is slipping on you. pencil some witness marks and see if that happens again.

It sounds like you know your lapping so I'm guessing you just did not notice the ring shadows before.

I have that NXS and a couple of others, all are crystal clear and sharp. First thing, get the reticle focused, per instructions above. That can be tricky for us older guys, don't know if that includes you. But in any case, do the best you can. Then put scope on the target and turn to max power, then adjust the parallax until the target is very clear. If you can't get it clear and sharp, either something is wrong with the scope or with your eyesight.

Give NF a call. I had a concern about the parallax adjustment on a used 2.5-10x NXS scope I bought. They walked me through the proper way to set up the ocular adjustment and that took care of my problem.

Alright guys I need some advice. I recently purchased a used nxs 5.5x22x56 and mounted it on a brand new ruger precision rifle 6.5 creedmore. Today I took it out for the first time. After sighting in at 100 yds, I put first three in same hole. After that it started going to **** but not enough that I thought scope was moving. I just figured it may be fatigue since I was still shooting 1 moa at 100 yds. Let me mention I was doing a barrel break in procedure after each round or so... so barrel was not dirty and I was breaking for a few minutes between each shot. The wind was blowing about 10 mph at my back. I moved target back to 300 yards and fired 4 rounds. Results were about a four inch group which I am not pleased with at all coming from this scope and gun. So first question I have, at both 100 yards and 300 yards the target was slightly blurred. At 300 yards I was not able to even see the red 1" bullseye. I had the eye relief set appropriately and parallax adjusted the best scope would allow me. I turned down magnification to about 16x, which made it slightly clearer but still not good. This is my first nightforce and expected much better. Do y'all think something could be wrong with glass?

Secondly, when I got home i started closely inspecting everything and I believe the scope may have slightly moved back due to recoil. I can see very light marks on scope tube at bottom which I do not remember seeing when I purchased the used scope. I did lap the rings prior to mounting and tightened to nightforce recommended specs of 25 pounds using loctite. Should I tighten more?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts