Scope got knocked; Has it spoiled your hunt?

Have you lost zero in the field:

• Yes

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Yes, lost an animal because of it!

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Yes, but switched to the iron sights

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 12 8.3%

• Total voters
How about uing an optical sight in tool to verify zero Sight in the rifle, mark where the optical checker is showing the sight in, hopefully zero, and then when you get anxious about your zero, stick it on and check it?

While I've never had a scope get knocked and verified to have lost zero, I've had that thought in the back of my mind a few times- especially when I don't have a chance to check zero in the field.

Has it happened to you? Did it affect your hunt, and to what extent?

I building a mountain rifle, in 7-08 AI. My plan is to shoot lighter Hammer Hunters really speedy quick. I want to get into backcountry hunting as well, abd this is the rifle ill do that with.

I am considering adding iron sights to the build, as cheap insurance- but my own (rather limited) experience supports that they are not really necessary. I thought I'd poll y'all, see what some more experienced backcountry hunters have to say. Anybody not had irons, and wished they ha
An ounce of prevention is worth $10,000s invested in a hunt of a lifetime. I always use a optical collimator to record zero after confirming firing zero before leaving on any hunt. Carry the collimator to re-confirm zero after the airline gorillas have had their fun en route. Carry collimator in pack to re-confirm zero in the event of a fall/knock or a horse thinking he is a reincarnated airline baggage handler. I've had a Bushnell Pro Collimator Kit P/N 743333 since late 70s. Three piece set of expandable arbors cover .22-.45 calibers. Saved many hunts/provided peace of mind post accident. Guides seem pleased when a client demonstrates that level of Plan B preparation/detail orientation. I find NF to be the Timex of scopes........they take a lickin' and keep on trackin'........ bullet/horse/baggage handler proof. But, the collimator is assurance where the money meets the trail. One of the best one time, hundred buck insurance policies you'll ever spend. Few know/consider this important tool. See attached file for instructions.

1641161648801.png

Attachments

• Bushnell Collimator - 743333 - ProBoresighter Kit Instructions.pdf
    298.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Mine lives on a 7# braked 338NM,LAST 6 years.Been on tons of mountain hunts and 1000,s miles rough road in jeep hooked to roll cage.

My bore sighting method.
With the rifle on a solid rest or vice,
Pull the bolt, look down the bore, line it up on a target or bottle at 100 yrds. Then look through the scope to check where the reticle is

Over the years I've practiced this to the point that I can get it within a few inches at 100 yards.

After a fall or rifle drop,
Its very easy to tell if you've had a major failure using this method.

Lots of great responses, thanks all!
Sounds like I should budget for a Nightforce or perhaps higher end Leupold. I think I will also figure out some irons for this rifle.
Quite a few examples of scopes getting knocked out of alignment or out of commission altogether.
My big gun has enough rail that I mounted a Lazer under the bell of the scope zero to 100 yards and that's my backup🤠

about 50 years ago i built a custom 7x57 rifle useing a light weight 98 mauser action for my fathers birthday and mounted a new (at the time) weaver 3x scope. on a whitetail hunt the front sling sweile pulled out and the rifle went sliding on hard crust snow down the ridge untill it hit a rock spinning it around and running the scope bell into another rock, the stock had a very large gough in it and the scope bell was dinted with a very large flake out of the front scope lense. went fired to see how far it was off zero, it was only 3" off at 50 yards. i would have though it would be off by yards.

I once had a scope come loose on a western hunt that cost me a buck. I had a spare gun to finish the hunt. I learned that it's always a good idea to check zero
On another hunt while checking zero. We learned that my friend's Tasco scope changed point of impact 10" from 3 power to 9 power. He had a better scope the next year. That year he duck taped it at 4 power for the hunt.

I did this past November. After about 17 years, I finally drew an Az Strip Mule Deer tag. I dusted off my 358 Norma and worked up a load shooting Hammers that grouped an honest half MOA. Put a nice new Vortex Viper HST on it. Teated the knobs up and down, left and right, and it was rock solid over and over. Practiced at the house out to 500 yds with very predictable results (when I did my part). After 5 days of scouting and 5 days of serious hunting, and passing on several smaller bucks, my brother spots the one. Beautiful big ol strip buck, north of 190". I ranged him at 375 straight p the side of a steep mountain. I flop down on my arce, rest my rifle on my tripod, and dial up. Boom, brother says high and to the right. Duh I dial back to 350 for the incline and- missed to the right. I look at the windage knob and its not on zero. Dammit. I rolled it back to the zero and-missed #3. I grabbed the scope and tried to wiggle it. Something come loose? Cant feel it. Brother is getting worse but i settled down. Ol Buck just walking back and forth a few steps with every shot, but not running off. Took a breath and set right on his shoulder, boom. Told my brother "got him". He said nope, you missed. No, I didn't friggin miss that one. Ya, you missed. Boom send #5 Got him! No, brother you missed again. Buck finally trots off out of sight, and I hike my befuddled *** up there looking for blood. Not a drop, and it's getting dark. Hunt the next morning with my spare gun but cant find him, then I take it up the road where I had some room, and it's 9" or so right at 50 yds. I had to back up the windage another two full turns, then nuts on zero once again. Don't know what I did to move the knob, either being lashed on my backpack, or going in and out of the scabbard on my buggy is all i can figure. I used on of them scope condoms that I thought would protect those exposed turrets, but I was obviously overconfident. Back at camp I applied the appropriate amount of gorilla tape on that side knob. No blame from me on Vortex, I love the scope, but I missed the buck of a lifetime. Hunted 4 more days but never fount another shooter.
Locking turrets or tape your knobs my friends.

I spent good money on a latest and greatest HD scope for a custom ultralight rifle. Erratic results in testing so put the scope on a known accurate varmint rifle and continued to get the occasional wild flier. After the third trip back to the manufacturer is was replaced with another NF. No more wandering zero and inexplainable fliers. Fortunately discovered this before the hunt.

If I were given an opportunity to take just one shot at a target on a lasered distance that I have to crank up the elevation knob ---- it will be my trued Remy 700 300 Win Mag (wish I still have the AI AWM) launching 215s topped off with 5.5-22x56 NXS. It is my oldest NXS with a lot of character (read dings and scratches) and still dependable as ever, though it has never been back to NF for any service.