Scope for PRS - Looking at Leupold MK5HD - Any others to consider?

These types of questions usually drag on for a dozen pages without actually satisfying any one single answer. Determining what you need should be your first priority not just a brand name or or power range.

First of all, there is a large number of top quality scopes suited for the PRS competitions. This is because the sport of PRS has grown to be a huge success so the number of shooters has grown along with this popularity. All the manufacturers want to cash in and rightly so.

Things for consideration:

1st or 2nd focal plane - this is important as to what you see, how you see and understand your target. Fast acquisition is imperative.

Power range is influenced by what you are comfortable seeing at any power setting not just the most power. The furthest targets on your PRS range and what you are comfortable seeing and accurately hitting helps determine the highest power. It's often a good idea to attend PRS matches to not only see what shooters are using but to possibly get a chance to actually look through different scopes at different ranges.

Controls and ease of function can make or break your scores. Make sure you understand the ease of use for your choices.

MOA or MRAD? Find what works for you. This can take reading and practice.

Budget is usually the defining decision unfortunately. Not everyone can afford a $6 or $7,000 scope for their first venture into PRS.

It really doesn't matter who's opinion is considered to be the most popular. Search out the one which works best for you.

Enjoy the process!

😊

Here is my 2 cents :
I shot my first prs match last fall .
I set up a 6.5 creed Ruger RPR and topped it with one of the Old Vortex Razor gen 1's 5x 20 x50 . This scope had the tree reticle , I never used it .
I'm no pro so this is just for Info .
I diled elevation and held for wind .
no way could I have diled for both and found and hit all my targets in the time allowed.

I would say the favorite scope used that I seen was the Vortex Razor gen 2 4.5 x 27x 50 .
Not one time did I feel under scoped .
I will add a electronic level if I get into Prs.

Definitely set your Rifle up to fit you . My scope was to low for me in the positions I had to get into .

Good Luck to you !

Rum Man

1709414734094.png

Having a 6mm GT built for PRS, Thinking of a Leupold MK5 HD 5 x 25, but curious what might be comparable in that price range?

Thanks for your help!
These types of questions usually drag on for a dozen pages without actually satisfying any one single answer. Determining what you need should be your first priority not just a brand name or or power range.

First of all, there is a large number of top quality scopes suited for the PRS competitions. This is because the sport of PRS has grown to be a huge success so the number of shooters has grown along with this popularity. All the manufacturers want to cash in and rightly so.

Things for consideration:

1st or 2nd focal plane - this is important as to what you see, how you see and understand your target. Fast acquisition is imperative.

Power range is influenced by what you are comfortable seeing at any power setting not just the most power. The furthest targets on your PRS range and what you are comfortable seeing and accurately hitting helps determine the highest power. It's often a good idea to attend PRS matches to not only see what shooters are using but to possibly get a chance to actually look through different scopes at different ranges.

Controls and ease of function can make or break your scores. Make sure you understand the ease of use for your choices.

MOA or MRAD? Find what works for you. This can take reading and practice.

Budget is usually the defining decision unfortunately. Not everyone can afford a $6 or $7,000 scope for their first venture into PRS.

It really doesn't matter who's opinion is considered to be the most popular. Search out the one which works best for you.

Enjoy the process!

😊
I want to build off this, ^^^ since it's a good start

Show up to some PRS events and you'll see the trends on things. They're trendy because they work.

Which PRS event is something else to consider too..like production. Sometimes you need to go cheaper to satisfy the rules depending where and what you plan to put money into.

If shooting open, then somethings I and many other have found to be true:

Most of us that have placed, spend most of our time in the 12 to x18 range.

Reticles. Find one that speaks to you. You'll be using them.

Because you're using them, 1st focal is the most common. I don't think I know any serious guys in PRS that use second focal…it's for a reason omce you start getting faster..
..which is why you should pay attention to what guys are doing. If the goal is to compete, you don't want to be doing math, or locked into 1 magnification range. Or dialing each targets wind.

Last edited:
Mk5 or NX8…moa or mil, take your pic. But for that barely sub $2k price range, I think that's about it, no?

I'm putting a mk5HD on my current build, but mainly due to the low weight for a backpack rifle

Maybe take a look qt the Zuess LRPS3 5-25x50. Same price as the NX8 and better glass. Add to that 45 mils of vertc;=le adjustment.

Having a 6mm GT built for PRS, Thinking of a Leupold MK5 HD 5 x 25, but curious what might be comparable in that price range?

Thanks for your help!
Fine one used. It's a great scope for matches. The glass didn't agree with my eyes but lots of folks run them. Tracking and repeatability are probably the most important features for matches and it check both of those boxes. Their reticles could use some work imho.