.280AI, is there anything else to consider?

Troutslayer2

I am wanting to have a rifle built and strongly leaning towards .280AI. I want to shoot primarily 150 or so grain bullets for deer, sheep and the occasional elk. I want a barrel no longer than 24", no muzzle brake, and a lightweight rifle, like sub- 7lb. I am thinking I'll have Shawn build it for me, if he's not too busy to get it done before hunting season.

How will the recoil compare to .300 WinMag? What other cartridge should I consider that is in the same neighborhood? This is going to be a rifle that I just grab and go for deer hunting mostly, but I still would like to be lethal at 700 yds. It'll probably end up getting packed around on mules and horses a good bit.

Can I fireform factory .280 stuff by shooting it, or do I have to start with Ackley Improved brass? I don't know which is best.

Oh, and no need to welcome me, I am Troutslayer but I had to re-register because the forum was not letting me retrieve my password. Set up the way I'm talking about is .280 AI going to be pleasant to shoot, or will it kick too much?

Also, what rate of twist is going to be best for bullets in the 135-160 range?

And one more thing, if I'm shopping around I can use any donor that is based on a 30.06 to get to .280 with ease right?

Troutslayer2 ,

First off welcome to LRH -sorry had to do it.

I have a 280AI it's set up a little heavier than a sporterweight.
I can't think of anything that would be better than the 280ai -maybe a 7saum ? -it's all in what you want.
A 24" number 2 barrel in a lightweight stock will have a bit of recoil although not like a 300 winmag with a 180-200gr bullet.
A 1-9" twist will shoot bullets up to 180gr ,that's what i have and what most people will recommend for a longrange set-up.
I am happy with the nosler 280ai brass -just load them up and go shoot ,although you can fireform brass from 270/280 cases.

Good luck should make a great rifle with the 280ai cartridge.
Mike

And yes on the action -long action .473 bolt face -25-06 -270 -280 -30-06 will work perfect.

Last edited:
you cant go wrong with 280ai
i had one built last year and am extreamly happy with my choice. i went for a 5#profile fluted 1:9 twist kreiger barrel cut to 24" on a borden action total weight with scope 9 1/2 lb recoil is very manageable and far bellow my 300win mag. i have shot it out to 1000yds in good conditions and it holds 1/2moa easily. i have settled on the 140 grain nosler accubond @3150fps i found the accubonds to be very accurate and leave very little fouling in the bore. i am using nosler custom brass.
i think you will be very pleased if you go with the .280AI

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.