280ai setup is finally complete

reed16dodge

I just wanted to share this awesome setup I just completed. Finally got my TC Encore 280ai completed and ready for hunting. My friend J.r. Shultz, owner of SPM Arms, did some amazing work for me. He installed a 5 slot brake on my barrel and melonite coated the barrel and frame. On top of all that, he surprised me with some custom engravings that have the same appearance as ghost flames. The stock set is by Tony Gettel. Fit and finish is amazing. To finish it off, I topped it with a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50.
This is my friends website: http://www.spmarms.com . He has his FFL to receive and ship firearms.

He does awesome work at an awesome price. I have a 7-08 pistol that I use a rifle scope on because the brake he put on it reduced the recoil to almost nothing. I haven't got to shoot my 280 yet since I got it all together.

Before all the work, it was a one holer at 100yds. I haven't got to shoot it yet. Hopefully Sunday.

reed,

What barrel r u running?

I have a very similar rig, running a MGM barrel, no brake, virgin valley forearm and a boyds butt(I broke the virgin valley butt).

I'd be interested in knowing what loads work for you etc.

The barrel is a 26" MGM. Stock set is buy Tony Gettel ( Home - Tony's Forends and Grips ). The only ammo I've shot in it is Nosler trophy grade 150g ABLR factory ammo and that was before the brake and melonite. I still have 2 boxes left. As soon as I buy the components to reload, I'd like to try a Berger 168g VLD with H1000 behind it. Finishing this project drained me pretty good. It will be awhile before I start reloading for it.

Well it sounds like we're shooting the same barrel. I have been working on loads for mine, up until yesterday I was having the best luck with 63gr. H1000 and the 168hvld.

Yesterday I tried Sierra GK 160 in front of 59gr. IMR7828sc and got the smallest groups so far, of course just working up a load so we'll see how that goes. The 63gr of H1000 and the 168 was max in my barrel, cases just barely stick.

Good info. Have you tried H4831 or H4350? I know some have had good luck with those as well. I didn't even get to the range over the weekend. I will for sure this weekend.

Reed, What butt stock cartridge holder is that? Would like to replace the neoprene one that I have been using.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts