Scope for a REM LTR 308

Old Coach

I have a new LTR on the way and need advice on what scope to use.
The rifle will be used for LR deer and hogs across fields up to 700 yds.
budget for scope and rings is $1500.

THANKS
Coach

Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 M1 with FFP TMR

Badger ordinance 20 minute base, and tactical rings

I think a Nightforce 2.5-10x24mm w/ 0-Stop turrets would but cool.
3606.jpg

Here's a photo of the 0-Stop turrets
3608.jpg

We have also sold a lot of the Custom Shop Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm to guys that have LTRs.
3499.jpg

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here's some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE

I agree that 10x with quality glass is good for up to 700 yards, but for LR hunting where low light conditions might be encountered I would suggest maybe a bit more magnification and definitely a larger objective. Lupy 4.5-14x50 illuminated TMR or IOR 4-14x50 illuminated MP-8 dot, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50, Nikon Monarch Gold, are all safe choices.

You have plenty of budget to secure the perfect scope. I like any quality steel Picatinny rail, and Seekins rings for alloy and IOR V-Tac or Lupy Mark 4 for steel.

Scott

I've got an old Leupold 4.5-14x40 Tactical on my LTR and it's everything I've ever needed. Not to heavy either which was the reason I went with the LTR in that particular rifle as well.

The NF 24mm is quite impressive in low light environments.

The best you can get out of a scope for the human eye in darkness is 7mm. So a scope with a 50mm at 7x will give you an exit pupil of 7.14mm and a 40mm at 5.5 will give you an exit pupil of 7.27mm, not a big difference. Also what make a big defiance is the quality of the glass and the coatings used.

For LTR I would love to put a NF 2.5-10x24mm or the Leupold 4.5-14x40mm on it. I feel a 50mm scope will dwarf the rifle.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here's some testimonials about CS GunWorks
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on AR15.com
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on Snipersparadise
FEEDBACK about CSGUNWORKS on the HIDE

Mike,

I understand about the human pupil opening up to about 7mm in near darkness, so the theory is that any exit pupil above 7mm is "wasted" on the enduser. I do not agree with that theory. While only up to 7mm of exit pupil is necessary before exceeding the size of the pupil, anything higher still provides a brighter sight picture. Conversely, IMHO, anything smaller than a 7mm exit pupil begins to limit the low light capability of the scope. The NF scope achieves a 7mm exit pupil at only 3.4x, so any magnification above that shrinks the exit pupil until each reaches its minimum of 2.4mm at 10x. This might be OK for daylight use, but would be quite limiting in low light. Given the intended hunting ranges of up to 700 yards, and using the rule of thumb of 1x for every 100 yards of range, the NF scope at 7x would have a 3.4mm exit pupil, OK for quality glass in daylight, but I would think it would be a handicap for low light use. This is why I suggested the 50mm. 40-42mm would be OK as a compromise.

As to the fit of scope to rifle, I think the benefits of the larger scope for the intended purpose offset the aesthetic trade-off, but that is a personal choice.

I'm sure the 2.5-10x24 is a dandy scope, but we'll have to agree to disagree it's the best scope for this situation.

Take care, my friend...

Scott

. . . For LTR I would love to put a NF 2.5-10x24mm or the Leupold 4.5-14x40mm on it. I feel a 50mm scope will dwarf the rifle. . .

Yeah, 50mm IS getting a little large. This is my LTR with a 4.5-14x50 (& sunshade):

PrecisionHerd03fs.jpg

This is my daughter's LTR with a 4.5-14x40 (& sunshade), which, to me, is a nicer fit:

PrecisionHerd03gs.jpg

The 40mm scope still "looks" a little high, but I have about the lowest M1913 rail/ring combo I can find on there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.