Scope for .308

jharney

I'm new to long range shooting but have been toying around with my Savage model 11 in .308. I've got a nikon buckmaster 6x18x40 and was wondering if upgrading to a vortex viper would be worth the extra cash. My current scope runs out of adjustment and 700 yds and my groups there aren't the greatest.

I would try a set of BURRIS "Z" rings, with 20 min. inserts to get you a little more elevation.

I'm new to long range shooting but have been toying around with my Savage model 11 in .308. I've got a nikon buckmaster 6x18x40 and was wondering if upgrading to a vortex viper would be worth the extra cash. My current scope runs out of adjustment and 700 yds and my groups there aren't the greatest.

Are you using a 0 moa mount or a 10-20 moa mount?

If using 0-10, get a 20 moa mount. That will get you past 700 with ease.

Upgrading optics is rarely a waste of cash.

If your groups need improvement, maybe more load development AND/or trigger time is needed.

The Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 is a great scope. My Dad has one on his M1A and it has proven to be extremely reliable and accurate out to 700yds. The only thing we don't like about them is the 1/8inch clicks. If we get any new rifles we are going to outfit them with Vortex scopes though because you just can't beat their warranty and everything about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts