Scope field evaluations on rokslide

Can't do that though, then how would he be able to rig it for his nightforce scope to win?

The bias is strong in him.
So strong it's a huge turn off to some people.
I'll never ever buy a nightmare scope, just because of the video history of his cool aid drinking.
I'm more likely to believe the experiences of the people who I know, and talk to in person regularly.
All of them swear by Leupold, because they just work well, and don't need a cult members club.
There are some threads on this forum where its become the clique thing to bash Hornady ELDX bullets. Yet when I shoot them, and watch others shoot them, they do really well. So yes I read the bash fest threads, but they don't make me stop buying the ammo, or scopes, that I know work great, because I myself have experienced them, and so do those who are around me.
Most that are losing 0 on their premium scopes, should be checking their mounts first, the scope itself second.
Maybe its not as trendy on the internet though to say my mounts moved, or my scope moved in the mounts, as it is to say oh no my scope broke.
Last year a coworker lost 0 on his gun, after flipping his ATV with his gun in the scabbard.
Upon checking closer, the Leupold itself was just fine, but had moved in the rings. But hey, that won't be as cool of a clickbait video, and need them clicks to earn cash.
Give me one of those Leupolds and I can help you drop test it! 🤣

Seriously, there is a wide band separating Leupold durability to Nightforce. Leupold has had a variety of reputations over the years for poor durability and turrets loosing calibration. Maybe they have fixed that.

My dad's Leupold kept moving zero year to year. Finally, we stopped adjusting and sent it in. They fixed it, but it still wandered. Replaced it with a Vortex.

Hats off to the tester(s) at RS for doing the best test available to them at considerable cost in time and ammo.
If one draws conclusions from this test methodology alone you're not getting the whole picture. It's simply a pass/ fail.
Not how did it fail. Rings, bases, erector, parallax, etc.
Everyone on here has experiences in a drop "test" of some accident or just the scope broke, bent, bases/rings came loose. On and on.
No one has about 10 million bucks laying around to perform repeatable/instrumented vibe, shock testing to failure and find out what 'exactly' failed out of 50+ parts in the test
The machines to test this stuff can most likely shear bases and 8-32 screws and dowell pins clean off a receiver just doing shock testing in a diabolical way, testing to complete failure. Or something just to study how parts become loose/worn over years of time, compressed into days in test.
I can pick apart the testing methods that RS did because of this or that but honestly, it's all they had, or I would have, in my shop or in the field.
It's inconclusive to me other than something went wrong somewhere in point of impact shift, or it passed. There are no "why or what" exactly failed to my satisfaction. But that's just me. Others will differ.

Back in the day, Simmons Gold Medal handgun scopes were the only scope endorsed by JD Jones for use on his hand cannons. I have two of the 2-7x28 Gold Medals and they have been flawless through many years and many thousands of rounds fired. While I don't consider it a cannon, my 15" Encore in 308 Winchester has worn a Simmons Gold Medal since I bought it new in 1999 and is still reliable as day one.

View attachment 516319
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Awhile back, Benny Hill used and suggested a low cost Simmons shotgun scope for competition. Not the comedian but the 3Gun shooter!

Anyway, if I recall correctly he was using that Simmons on his AR and not his shotgun. Not a ton of recoil or extreme accuracy/precision but high round count! I don't think he was sponsored by Simmons and could probably have used whatever scope he wanted.

I grew up in the Midwest and went hunting with some uncles on multiple occasions. They had 40 year old Remingtons with tasco or leupold scopes mounted 40 years ago that lived their life in a farm truck or tractor, getting bounced around daily, never cleaned, beat to ****, and somehow every year they shot a deer without verifying zero or even shooting the **** thing until the season started. Year after year...

It seems how some talk, it isn't a random act to drop their rifles.
Maybe once in a lifetime happens, if really bad luck twice in 50 years. But if someone is banging their rifle around so badly it's frequently needing to be reset to 0, then they should be blaming themselves, not the scope. I'm far more likely to drop my work radio, or cellphone, than a rifle. Yet haven't dropped them in years and years. But some people seem to drop their phone annually, or more. Maybe they just don't care, I do.
I definitely care, but as I get older things happen. less than a week ago I went to plop down in a chair due to very sore and bad knees and bad back. Well I guess I went a little too hard and went over backwards with my rifle still on my shoulder all my weight on top of my Nightforce NXS scope.
I knew I was screwed when I picked it up Could not adjust the parallax. Well Nightforce was great. I had an RMA number within 24 hours ,within two days It was in the mail back to them and they told me to expect about a six week turnaround. I can't ask for much more than that.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Awhile back, Benny Hill used and suggested a low cost Simmons shotgun scope for competition. Not the comedian but the 3Gun shooter!

Anyway, if I recall correctly he was using that Simmons on his AR and not his shotgun. Not a ton of recoil or extreme accuracy/precision but high round count! I don't think he was sponsored by Simmons and could probably have used whatever scope he wanted.
When I first started hunting, I knew nothing and had a very limited budget and purchased a Simmons eight point(around $60 if I remember correctly and that is more than they are worth) that is hands-down the worst scope I've ever used!! of course, that was many years ago. Please don't hold it against me.Lol

Last edited:
Hats off to the tester(s) at RS for doing the best test available to them at considerable cost in time and ammo.
If one draws conclusions from this test methodology alone you're not getting the whole picture. It's simply a pass/ fail.
Everyone on here has experiences in a drop "test" of some accident or just the scope broke, bent, bases/rings came loose. On and on.
No one has about 10 million bucks laying around to perform repeatable/instrumented vibe, shock testing to failure and find out what 'exactly' failed out of 50+ parts in the test
The machines to test this stuff can most likely shear bases and 8-32 screws and dowell pins clean off a receiver just doing shock testing in a diabolical way, testing to complete failure. Or something just to study how parts become loose/worn over years of time, compressed into days in test.
I can pick apart the testing methods that RS did because of this or that but honestly, it's all they had, or I would have, in my shop or in the field.
It's inconclusive to me other than something went wrong somewhere in point of impact shift, or it passed. There are no "why or what" exactly failed to my satisfaction. But that's just me. Others will differ.
You have a point about all the equipment. That said, what is the value in a bunch of fancy equipment that does not relate well to ….uh hunting! I liked Form's testing. I got the feeling that rarely was he talking about groups opening a bit. Most of what I saw just fell to crap when dropped. Like throwing shots all over!

Can't do that though, then how would he be able to rig it for his nightforce scope to win?

The bias is strong in him.
So strong it's a huge turn off to some people.
I'll never ever buy a nightmare scope, just because of the video history of his cool aid drinking.
I'm more likely to believe the experiences of the people who I know, and talk to in person regularly.
All of them swear by Leupold, because they just work well, and don't need a cult members club.
There are some threads on this forum where its become the clique thing to bash Hornady ELDX bullets. Yet when I shoot them, and watch others shoot them, they do really well. So yes I read the bash fest threads, but they don't make me stop buying the ammo, or scopes, that I know work great, because I myself have experienced them, and so do those who are around me.
Most that are losing 0 on their premium scopes, should be checking their mounts first, the scope itself second.
Maybe its not as trendy on the internet though to say my mounts moved, or my scope moved in the mounts, as it is to say oh no my scope broke.
Last year a coworker lost 0 on his gun, after flipping his ATV with his gun in the scabbard.
Upon checking closer, the Leupold itself was just fine, but had moved in the rings. But hey, that won't be as cool of a clickbait video, and need them clicks to earn cash.
You are clearly biased, for luepold, and against nightforce. Pot, Kettle.

Where are these high paying clickbait videos you are referring to?

Do you have any idea how much money is spent to run these tests on ammo alone? And time if you could put a price on it? I certainly don't think he's coming out ahead.

He hunts in an environment you didn't even realize people hunt in, and clearly have never been to. You probably are not the intended target for the information he is relaying. Enjoy your leuopld if it makes you happy. No need to dig at someone who demands more of their equipment than the average hunter.

When I first started hunting, I knew nothing and had a very limited budget and purchased a Simmons eight point(around $60 if I remember correctly and that's cost more than they are worth) that is hands-down the worst scope I've ever used!! of course, that was many years ago. Please don't hold it against me.Lol
I think the first scope I bought was an old Redfield 'tv' wideview. Man I mounted it on my .22 for whacking bushy tails and I thought I was in tall cotton!

When I first started hunting, I knew nothing and had a very limited budget and purchased a Simmons eight point(around $60 if I remember correctly and that's cost more than they are worth) that is hands-down the worst scope I've ever used!! of course, that was many years ago. Please don't hold it against me.Lol
No doubt that they made some junk.

I live near a company that makes scopes and could drive there blind folded from dropping off and picking up warranty returns so many times. Would love to support the local company but myself and friends wrote them off several years ago. Has nothing to do with Roksliders either!

Looks like Form tries to control variables pretty well. Rifle is permanently bonded into the stock. If a scope fails, it is replaced by a scope that is known to pass and retested in the same exact rings etc. Sometimes the rings are "blamed" for the fail and a scope is re-tested in different rings.

If a scope passes…it says a lot about the durability. That much is hard to question. If a scope fails repeatedly, that means "something" too. Some of the scopes that failed drops, are re-zeroed and then subjected to essentially normal use while periodically checking zero. They tend to lose zero again…

No doubt that they made some junk.

I live near a company that makes scopes and could drive there blind folded from dropping off and picking up warranty returns so many times. Would love to support the local company but myself and friends wrote them off several years ago. Has nothing to do with Roksliders either!
Hmmmm, and you live in Oregon.

Yea, I live in Oregon as well. Been there, done that...several times. Moved on to March scopes and haven't had a problem since.