Scope field evaluations on rokslide

Unfortunately there is no cheat sheet, they want you to read them all.

I only mentioned the lightweight passers, all the nightforces passed as well, the minox zp5 passed, Swfa 5-20hd is beloved but I'm not sure he's technically gone through the whole test with one but he directly recommended it to me.
I had a SWFA 5-20HD and it was a good scope. I wouldn't pay retail though. I think I bought and sold mine for about $700-$750?

I had a SWFA 5-20HD and it was a good scope. I wouldn't pay retail though. I think I bought and sold mine for about $700-$750?
It's hard to nail down what retail even is on them. I bought my last one for 650 used with no illumination. I see illuminated ones go around 750-800 a lot. They had them on sale for 799 earlier this year.

i personally love them, but part of that is probably because I trust them. Over 1k and you've got other options that also pass this test

Ding ding ding ^"this"^
I was very disappointed to see a neon green label saying "do not exceed 15"lb ring torque" that came with a tangent theta that I paid $4k for.
Why would the scope manufacturer dictate what your rings are torqued to? I guess they could say max clamping force but what if you have perfectly lapped zero gap rings? That's not torque, it's clamping force that holds it. ARC Mbrace rings for example. They have a single M10 screw that gets 55 in/lbs.

I have a MK5 that has flown to AK twice, rode all over, fallen down, been in the pack when I biffed it, and it never lost zero.

That model failed the drop test twice. I am still not selling it.

I also bought a Trijicon for Black Friday to replace a scope and to drop some weight, all because of the testing. I will replace a heavier scope..

I always loctite my scope in the rings and put a little more torque on the rings with loctite.

It's about the odds. It's one scope through one test and testing very rare events. PRS and NRL give proof of something too.

Why would the scope manufacturer dictate what your rings are torqued to? I guess they could say max clamping force but what if you have perfectly lapped zero gap rings? That's not torque, it's clamping force that holds it. ARC Mbrace rings for example. They have a single M10 screw that gets 55 in/lbs.
I agree completely, each ring design will be different. For me it was a red flag for a known problem.

I have a MK5 that has flown to AK twice, rode all over, fallen down, been in the pack when I biffed it, and it never lost zero.

That model failed the drop test twice. I am still not selling it.

I also bought a Trijicon for Black Friday to replace a scope and to drop some weight, all because of the testing. I will replace a heavier scope..

I always loctite my scope in the rings and put a little more torque on the rings with loctite.

It's about the odds. It's one scope through one test and testing very rare events. PRS and NRL give proof of something too.

I agree. I have 6 mrk5's. Used very hard. I fall constantly pushing it hard in the mtns. I can't count how many times I've knocked a rifle over when it's sitting on the ground on the bipod. I've lost one over a small rock cliff. They get beat up traveling and so on. I've had no issues. As long as the load stays in tune it's always on when I pull one outa the safe. I won't own rifles/scopes I have to re zero. I honestly love them. With that said I have 4 new builds needing scopes. I'm leaning nx8's and maybe 1 atacr. I'm honestly not a nx8 fan but I do trust them. I want more leupolds but the internet horror stories do bug me. But would all these competitors and world hunters be running them if they were really that prone to failing? Would gunwerks be putting them on their very expensive rifles?

When I had TV we used to watch the Jim Shockey hunting show. He was sponsored by Leupold and hunted all over the world. I lost track of how many times he missed and blamed it on the scope losing zero.

I remember some of that from Shockey's show like 15 years ago. Pics/ clips make ads and those sold product then. Now if someone's scope breaks and the light up the internet about it they can change a lot of perception.

Maybe I'm being nostalgic but when I bought my first hunting rifle it was 1991. Most of the guys my dad hunted with used Remington pump actions in 30-06 or 35 Whelen and they all had Leupold gold rings on them. Back then my sphere of influence was Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, and real world feedback. People bought things that other people had shown to work. I still have my Rem 7600 in 30-06 and it still has the same 2.5-8 Vari X III on it. It's never done me wrong. Bounced rifle off tree branches, hunted off 4wheelers in swamps, slipped on beaver dams, sling failure drops. IDK, were those scopes built better back then? They're **** sure prettier than the newer Leupold stuff.
Maybe it just never mattered if it moved around a little or I never noticed because thats about a 1.25 MOA rifle and it has a horrible trigger. I don't measure groups with it. It's accurate enough to kill and I never used it for anything over 400 yds.

😱😱😱

I'm not sure we can be friends anymore if you're gonna talk **** about ARC rings. I LOVE them.

Seriously what is it about them that you don't like?
Hahaha I don't like the single tension point in the middle of the rings, or the fact that they require 55 in lbs of torque on the tube, or that they come loose if you torque much less than that, or that they single handedly blew the Parralax out on two of my scopes. I think that's it lol.

Simple is just better in my opinion. And they design is neither simple, or better lol.

But other than that, we can totally be friends ♥️♥️ haha

I just completed year 3 with my LHT. Well I have a couple more hunts this year, but my rough math says that it's killed 16 animals in 3 years, from 17 yards to 834 yards. I haven't had a POI impact in 3 years. Not saying it's a NF but it's funny how fast everyone on RS wrote off the LHT after one test. I've dropped mine multiple times, it's ridden thousands of Miles in a truck, 100s of miles on a rzr, been packed on foot 100s of miles and it's never given me one issue.

I think one of the issues with the test is that there is ONE test scope. It might be the one scope that performs great, or the scope that performs terribly. It's not feasible to test 10 scopes, but it's something to think about that you're getting a sample size of ONE.

Which torture test is more realistic? A scope that's been hunted hard for 3 years and never had an issue, or a scope that was dropped a couple of times and failed.