Scope field evaluations on rokslide

Where did I say that?

I swear you Form boot lickers need to get a life.
It seemed implied, in your quote, in the post you're replying to. And that quote, relplied to a recommendation of SWFA for a cheaper reliable scope.

I do agree, the SWFAs don't have top tier glass. But sub $1k, seems you can get reliability or great glass.

It seemed implied, in your quote, in the post you're replying to. And that quote, relplied to a recommendation of SWFA for a cheaper reliable scope.

I do agree, the SWFAs don't have top tier glass. But sub $1k, seems you can get reliability or great glass.

I think his post was meant to reflect that regardless of how reliable an optic is, if you cannot make a visual determination as to size, character or other requirements, the optic is useless. Take the moose requirements in certain areas. 3 brows or 50".

Here in Texas we have certain counties that have antler restrictions, 12" or bigger are legal, spikes/non-branched antlers legal.

I personally know of 3 people who have received fines because a buck fell under that 12" requirement. One person reported their mistake immediately and the warden confiscated the buck, fined them and they lost that tag. The others played dumb, but both were under the 12" restriction, they deserved what they got.

It's a stupid law, because where I have property, both counties have that restriction and the buck population has increased and the mature deer size has decreased. More non-legal bucks in the population. I agree we need management, but limiting a person to 1 buck/2 doe tags in my opinion isn't it.

I think his post was meant to reflect that regardless of how reliable an optic is, if you cannot make a visual determination as to size, character or other requirements, the optic is useless. Take the moose requirements in certain areas. 3 brows or 50".

Here in Texas we have certain counties that have antler restrictions, 12" or bigger are legal, spikes/non-branched antlers legal.

I personally know of 3 people who have received fines because a buck fell under that 12" requirement. One person reported their mistake immediately and the warden confiscated the buck, fined them and they lost that tag. The others played dumb, but both were under the 12" restriction, they deserved what they got.

It's a stupid law, because where I have property, both counties have that restriction and the buck population has increased and the mature deer size has decreased. More non-legal bucks in the population. I agree we need management, but limiting a person to 1 buck/2 doe tags in my opinion isn't it.
I get that. But that's what I carry binos, and/or a spotting scope.

The glass isn't THAT bad on them either way. Blaming rifle scope glass quality as an excuse to have shot an animal you shouldn't have is weak AF.

I clearly stated that I would choose the Atacr over the Mark 5 numerous times. I own three guns that weigh 8 lbs or less. They are a 7-08, 270, and 308. My other three weigh 10 lbs or more.30-06, 300 WM, 338 WM, 338 IMP. The IMP weighs 12+ lbs. It's on the bottom. It actually wears an Athlon as does the 6.5x284 above. Both rifles shoot .25 or better moa. And have never lost zero. That group is a five shot group. It measured .029. The rifle has just over 800 rounds through it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long range hunt. It may go with us to Texas in March to hunt Aoudad. I choose the Athlon because when I built it five years ago it was the only scope that offered 32 mils of adjustment for both elevation and windage. It met a criteria. It was not meant as a hunting rifle originally but was built to shoot 2000+. It rings steel at 1250+ like clock work. Again mission specific. NF is not the only scope capable of holding zero, as others have demonstrated. Blessing friend. View attachment 518511
That is a very nice group in your picture. But it clearly is NOT a picture of a rifle that is zeroed! I am very disappointed. In a thread about scopes that stay zeroed you post THAT! I would expect more from someone that is a PRO STAFFER, and knows a PH! 🤣

I would never rely on any rifle scope to make critical age or size decisions.. I have literally spent hours watching a. And of mature Stones sheep with a 60x Swarovski spotting scope before deciding which ram to take after passing 26 other full curl rams. I can't even imagine making that decision with any rifle scope.

For sure there are trade offs at that price point.

Maybe I'm a glass snob but I'm willing to spend the $$ to have at least decent glass and reliability. I'm not quite ready to make that next step to truly awesome glass and reliability. I'm currently at the MK5 to NF NX-8 level price point. I know some people poo on the MK5 but the two have served me well for MY style of hunting/shooting.

That is a very nice group in your picture. But it clearly is NOT a picture of a rifle that is zeroed! I am very disappointed. In a thread about scopes that stay zeroed you post THAT! I would expect more from someone that is a PRO STAFFER, and knows a PH! 🤣
It was 38' that day with a 10-20 mph wind left to right!🤣 The two tightest groups I have ever shot were in a strong left to right cross wind and cold as blue blazes. I don't have any scientific proof but I have a theory. I think the powder is more stable in colder weather and the wind provides a constant which help bullet stability. I don't mind shooting in nasty weather as long as the wind is consistent left to right. We didn't realize how good the group was till we checked them. We were doing load development and just holding center. If I'm out a half inch I'll take it!😁

I would never rely on any rifle scope to make critical age or size decisions.. I have literally spent hours watching a. And of mature Stones sheep with a 60x Swarovski spotting scope before deciding which ram to take after passing 26 other full curl rams. I can't even imagine making that decision with any rifle scope.

A spotter is nice, but think about the number of hunters that never actually carry or use a spotter? I have a set of 10x binos, but I use my scope the majority of the time here because I am in an elevated blind. I am planning on ordering a set of 12 or 15x binoculars after the first of the year.

I listened to a couple of different podcasts where they mentioned that in first light/last light situations that there was not enough discernable difference in glass, Leupold, Nightforce, Kahles, S&B, Zeiss and a few others, that a shot couldn't made. Then they brought up a couple of scenarios where people chose optics with too much magnification that further hampered abilities and opportunities. Both podcasts said the majority of people would be better capping their power at 18x.

I myself love good glass, but good glass is useless if the optic is not reliable. I am migrating my opinion from top tier glass.

I saw Greg's video on Instagram of the deer at 1250yds on thru the TT 7 - 35x56mm, for me, the mirage made that shot impossible for me, I wouldn't have personally been able to make it. I know it was strictly an observation video, my mind went to the could I, would I or should I even try.

I understand holding manufactures to the standards they preach about, I understand why Form does these test, I understand the scrutiny he endures because of these test and I appreciate it the sentiment. I see the value but I just honestly believe that there has to be a method that will accomplish the same outcomes without the scrutiny. The parameters and then modifying the method slightly are what contribute to people dismissing them.

As a community, we should expect more from those that make claims an do not back up those claims.

I saw Greg's video on Instagram of the deer at 1250yds on thru the TT 7 - 35x56mm, for me, the mirage made that shot impossible for me, I wouldn't have personally been able to make it. I know it was strictly an observation video, my mind went to the could I, would I or should I even try.
Did you see the other video of the pronghorn at 1000? That was a very doable shot.

Some conditions make certain shots impossible, no matter the equipment. :)

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I loved the tt glass. The tt just didnt love the lapua. Under 100 rounds parallax broke. But so did zco and recently atacr. Atacr was on a 14lb 37xc though not a 12.5lb lapua. But tt did overnight scope to canada for me fixed it and overnight back, in hands 4 days later. Thats impressive customer service and zero excuses why it failed. Zco been same experience. Atacr took 3 weeks but still fixed

I loved the tt glass. The tt just didnt love the lapua. Under 100 rounds parallax broke. But so did zco and recently atacr. Atacr was on a 14lb 37xc though not a 12.5lb lapua. But tt did overnight scope to canada for me fixed it and overnight back, in hands 4 days later. Thats impressive customer service and zero excuses why it failed. Zco been same experience. Atacr took 3 weeks but still fixed
You should donate that rifle to science. lol

Never heard of a track record of smashed scopes like that before.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Recent Posts