Scope field evaluations on rokslide

I do have to wonder why these people are all so ridiculously uncoordinated, that they are constantly dropping their rifles to?
Thank God they don't have babies, or carry eggs in from the car!
But I wouldn't let them use anything of mine, and I'm usually an extremely sharing person.
But no way I would lend them anything, not my ATV, snowmobile, guns, rangefinder, dishes, laptop, cellphone, or anything else, because they are incapable of being at all careful, or even coordinated enough to carry, or ride anything.
I was in Nursing school with a guy like this years ago, he was always dropping stuff, tripped while walking, and I soon distanced myself from him. If I ever drop my rifle, it would make me do some deep self evaluation. It would likely make the decision to never have kids easier to, because it would seem logical that I would also be dropping my baby.
Hopefully you droppers have a great case on your phone, we all know how delicate iphone screens are. I've seen them break even from a gentle fall.
When I get so old that I'm dropping my rifles, I will know that its time to stop hunting, and take up bingo.....

Reading your post reminded me of a verse in the Bible:

"The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.' ""
‭‭1 Kings‬ ‭20‬:‭11‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Us "older" guys have seen some of the crazy things that can and will happen. So, I want things that will work just in case I do something stupid because I know it is only a matter of time.

PlumberEd

Reading your post reminded me of a verse in the Bible:

"The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.' ""
‭‭1 Kings‬ ‭20‬:‭11‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Us "older" guys have seen some of the crazy things that can and will happen. So, I want things that will work just in case I do something stupid because I know it is only a matter of time.

PlumberEd
Murphy was that kid that ran around the schoolyard giving everyone a "flat tire". ;)

It's not really people dropping their rifles just randomly. It's rifle being strapped to packs and people slipping, trips and falls and random rifle tip overs. Ever been in a fresh burn after rain or snow? There is a good chance you won't be on your feet the entire time. Last year hiking in the dark I somehow had a little 8" tall burned out oak stob go up the cuff of my pants on a steep downhill. The rifle was in my hands and when I went to take a step and that foot was more or less cemented in place. I went down HARD and the rifle (unloaded) flew about 6' down the hill onto nothing but rocks. I checked for barrel obstructions and then shot a bull 2 hours later because it was a scope I had drop tested numerous times and I have TONS of faith in that scope.

Before my next hunt I did a quick zero check. Having faith in your optic is a great feeling.View attachment 514842
C'mon man, don't leave us in suspense. What was the scope you were using ?

C'mon man, don't leave us in suspense. What was the scope you were using ?
4-16x42 Atacr. I have done horrific things to those scopes and never had one lose zero. The weight sucks but they are about as bulletproof as scopes can get IME. A couple years ago a buddy killed a bull in a fresh burn and it had rained, frozen and then snowed on top of that. Had I known how bad it was going to be we wouldn't have shot. It was like a water slide covered in crisco. I don't know how many times that day my rifle met the ground but it was a lifetime of drop testing in one day. Checked zero the next day and….. 029E7A73-591E-4930-9F96-CF52F7719EB6.png
That was a 4-16x50 Atacr on that one.

Nobody tries to abuse their scope. And people who argue form's test procedure have never hunted out west either. When you're miles back, alone sometimes, and encounter some **** you're going to be happy when you've invested in the right gear. Because that's all you have that separates you from a successful hunt or going home empty…sometimes between life and death depending on the conditions.

I've fallen a few times, super steep terrain on a packout, hit that one patch of wet grass or a branch hidden in the ground under that wet grass and you'll be out from under your feet quicker than you can realize what is happening. Icy conditions just suck as well, as careful as you can be and you'll still fall. We aren't walking the back 40 to your tree stand, we are out navigating cliffs and mountains. This is not a post to pound the chest of western hunters, but I feel some guys here are missing the point.

Simply put, **** happens.

I don't hunt anywhere that has super extreme terrain, because if I shoot something, how would I ever pack it out.
I'm not capable of carrying a deer or moose up Everest, or even up the mountains around me.
I can't count how many times I've gone knee or arse deep in a badger hole while hunting pheasants in CRP or wheat stubble in NE Montana. I take a nose dove every year with as much 'flat ground' walking I do.

I did learn to fall forward 'gracefully' so I could lay my shotgun down before my face planted in the stubble. Which, um... OUCH.

I used to be one of the people that never fell and I didn't pay much attention to rokslide testing.

Then my lht fell over leaned against a tree and went .4mil left. I recently had a buddy whose xtr3 kept shifting half a mil randomly from riding in the truck.

I have changed my mind, and my scope options narrowed significantly. I don't like feeling anxious that my equipment may screw me. I have also noticed way less random days where my dope feels a touch off, no more tweaking things etc.

I think anyone that has hunted enough and done truly strenuous back country hunts can surely appreciate the testing. And those same people have probably seen failed performances from lots of the unreliable scopes that were tested as well. I know I sure have. Switched to an ATACR and Tenmile and all the headaches went away. Weird haha. My March FX was rock solid also.

It seems how some talk, it isn't a random act to drop their rifles.
Maybe once in a lifetime happens, if really bad luck twice in 50 years. But if someone is banging their rifle around so badly it's frequently needing to be reset to 0, then they should be blaming themselves, not the scope. I'm far more likely to drop my work radio, or cellphone, than a rifle. Yet haven't dropped them in years and years. But some people seem to drop their phone annually, or more. Maybe they just don't care, I do.

You use a scabbard on a horse, trust me, you will see failure. That is pretty harse treatment compared to riding in the the back of a vehicle in a case. A horse doesn't care about rifles or Optics, they care aabout footing and they don't care what they have to do to be where they want to be.

What mounting system did you use on your rifle?

It seems how some talk, it isn't a random act to drop their rifles.
Maybe once in a lifetime happens, if really bad luck twice in 50 years. But if someone is banging their rifle around so badly it's frequently needing to be reset to 0, then they should be blaming themselves, not the scope. I'm far more likely to drop my work radio, or cellphone, than a rifle. Yet haven't dropped them in years and years. But some people seem to drop their phone annually, or more. Maybe they just don't care, I do.
Weren't you asking for recommendations for a scope for your first hunting rifle like a month ago?

@Small Lady , I said the exact same thing in another thread with Form , about not dropping the rifle to begin with . What was pointed out to me was why buy a scope that is proven to fail consistently ? If you're planning to buy a scope , why not buy a scope that that passes his tests ? Same money , or close to it , and piece of mind knowing you can trust your scope .
When you spend the kind of money some people spend on hunts now days , it only makes sense to have the most reliable equipment .
Not trying to pile on you , just saying I see where you're coming from . They roasted me on RS , and I admitted they were right , and bought the Trijicon .

Real question, how many times have you slipped and fallen down on a hunt?

In the past 10 years I can count every time I have fallen or crashed.
1. Downhill mountain bike race, went over the bars, broke my collar bone.
2. XC ski racing 4 times.
3. Playing hockey on the lake is 7 times.
4. Downhill skiing 13 times.
5. Dirt biking 6 times.
6. Out for a run last summer and one of the dogs took my legs out from behind while playing with the other dogs.
7. Another Nurse, and I, got knocked down by an angry 400 lb woman in Emerg one day.
8. Play wrestling with a male coworker, he swept my legs and pinned me for a 3 count.
9. Trying to stop a bouncing semi truck tire rolled out of the pickup by my boss, the tire won, it took me down 🤣
10. Fallen off my snowmobile numerous times while climbing crazy mountains.
11. Dismounting my horse oneday, and foot got caught in the stirrup. It was more a slow and gentle lay down in the dirt, one leg in the air still, than a true fall...but I was laughing so hard it took me a minute to get back up.
12. Being towed by an ATV, while in a kayak, tied to that ATV. Did a nasty barrel roll 4 times around, and then into a tractor tire.

Last edited: