Scope clicks don't take on first shot ?

ol mike

Scope clicks don\'t take on first shot ?

Guys i'm doing some fine tuning on a couple of loads for a 270win..
The scope i'm using is a nikon monarch 5.5 x 16.5 -44mm.

I did some shooting out to 355yds and when i turn the clicks the first shot stays at the zero setting.
Then the next 2 shots [3 shot groups] were on target.
What can be done ? anything ?

Is the scope worthless as titsona bore-hog ?

How can the clicks sound firm in the detents but not 'take'?

Re: Scope clicks don\'t take on first shot ?

Back in the 'old' days a tap on the turrets with something sometimes helped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'd think that going beyond then back to the correct adjustment may be worth a try. That's what I do until I get more confidence in things.

Choice 3 would be a warranty call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Don't really know the mechanics of it all. But my friends scope does it when he's changing his sight in zero, He taps on the dial he moves then shoots. Almost as if he's trying to knock it in place.

The machinist in me makes me always crank in the direction of the arrows! UP & RIGHT

If I have to go the other way I always go 4 clicks past the actual amount, then I go 4 clicks in the direction of the arrows. Just like taking the backlash out of an old lathe or mill.

edge.

I rememnber hearing/reading that before -go past then go back.

I did do the pecking on the scope to no avail.

Will give the past and back a whirl !

...and the prize goes to... Edge. Yes, the final adjustment is to tighten.
~z

You have hit a pretty common issue with many scopes and some high end ones too. it is always a good idea to 4-5 past and then come down or back.

The issue is that the tension may not release and allow movement on just one or two clicks but on recoil will suddenly jump. Pardon my laymans description.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.