Scope bases and rings for RUM

Mike433

Hi all,
Upgrading the optics on the old Rem 700 BDL .300 RUM with a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50. Don't want to have great optics on an awesome shooting rifle attached with cheap bases/rings. I've never tried a picatinny base/ring set up and was thinking about going that way with a Warne base and Seekins rings, but thought I'd ask for suggestions for a set up that will stand up to the recoil abuse of a .300 RUM. Not looking to go cheap, but not looking to break the bank either.

Had a Leupold STD base and rings on a .338 RUM only to have that fail while checking the zero at the range the day before a Muley/Antelope hunt three years ago. Luckily I was able to borrow the gun of my hunting pal when it was my turn to shoot. I'd like to avoid that from happening again if at all possible. Nothing like taking a gun on a cross country flight only to find out that we have an optics problem the day before season.

Hi all,
Upgrading the optics on the old Rem 700 BDL .300 RUM with a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50. Don't want to have great optics on an awesome shooting rifle attached with cheap bases/rings. I've never tried a picatinny base/ring set up and was thinking about going that way with a Warne base and Seekins rings, but thought I'd ask for suggestions for a set up that will stand up to the recoil abuse of a .300 RUM. Not looking to go cheap, but not looking to break the bank either.

Had a Leupold STD base and rings on a .338 RUM only to have that fail while checking the zero at the range the day before a Muley/Antelope hunt three years ago. Luckily I was able to borrow the gun of my hunting pal when it was my turn to shoot. I'd like to avoid that from happening again if at all possible. Nothing like taking a gun on a cross country flight only to find out that we have an optics problem the day before season.
For really good quality affordable prices take a look at the EGW HD base and rings.

Give some serious consideration to bedding the rail to the action with Devcon or another really good epoxy. The other option is once you install it have a gunsmith drill a couple of holes and pin the base to the action.

The Rum has a pretty stout recoil and I have seen some scopes jump right off of a rifle when the mounting screws sheared off. Screws are far more susceptible to shearing forces than pins of the same diameter.

For really good quality affordable prices take a look at the EGW HD base and rings.

Give some serious consideration to bedding the rail to the action with Devcon or another really good epoxy. The other option is once you install it have a gunsmith drill a couple of holes and pin the base to the action.

The Rum has a pretty stout recoil and I have seen some scopes jump right off of a rifle when the mounting screws sheared off. Screws are far more susceptible to shearing forces than pins of the same diameter.
I like what I see with the EGW base and rings. Thanks for the info!

I guess I'm not too smart. I attached a 22 ounce scope to a 5 1/2 pound rifle with Talley light weight rings. It fired 125 grain bullets at 3,250 feet per second with no problems.

NF 20 MOA and their ultralight rings have done well with NXS 5.5-22. The heavier the scope, the heavier duty rings are your answer. Also used the Vortex(Seekins) on my RUM with a Vortex Razor and they held just fine.

Your Seekins will work just fine.

I had the Talleys on a 308 with the Zeiss V4 on the rings failed on me. Luckily wasn't day before a hunt.

Best to upgrade to #8 screws if you can, get a rail and bed it to the action, no need to use a release agent as you can easily get it off with a heat gun. Pinning it to the action is even better. Make sure to spray some carb cleaner in the screw holes in the action and rings as they are all coated with oil and the blue Loctite won't stick.

Since this is a factory Rem 700.... good excuse to get the holes aligned as they're opened up. I don't know exactly what kind of machinist black magic goes into that particular process, just that the one time I had it done took a lot less windage to zero. And it came back with four holes still, so he didn't just drill new ones.

Carnac the Magnificent says vertical mill and a test indicator, the question is "what do you use to make things more accurately than a redneck with a cordless drill can?" 🤣

Johnny Carson Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

I used Leupold dual dovetails on my first 300 RUM with a Weaver Tactical scope. My second 300 RUM got Hawkins 20moa ring/base combo with a March compact scope. Haven't had any issues with either setup.

Hi all,

I've had good luck with the Vortex Precision scope rings. I've only had one set but they didn't require any lapping before mounting my scope…. The guides were perfectly aligned.